Duke tries to roll by Loyola

The men’s lacrosse team is coming off one of its best weeks in recent memory.

After defeating both then-No. 3 Maryland and 17th-ranked Penn State, the Blue Devils have climbed to fourth in the national rankings. But their week is not over.

“Two-thirds of the job is done now,” head coach Mike Pressler said. “The toughest third will be the last third, the Loyola Greyhounds.”

When No. 4 Duke (5-0) takes on Loyola (0-2) 3 p.m. Saturday at Koskinen Stadium it will attempt to start a season with six wins for the first time since 1999, when it reached the NCAA quarterfinals.

“We have had a hell of a week,” Pressler said. “If we don’t finish it, it will take the luster off the first two wins.”

The team is shooting the ball extremely well at 32 percent on the season. The Blue Devils are led by two talented underclassman attackers. Sophomore Matt Danowski has consistently showed superb passing and scoring ability in recording 19 points, while freshman Zack Greer leads the nation with 21 goals.

Meanwhile Duke’s defense has been a stopping force all season, allowing only 6.6 goals per game.

“Defensively we have the capability to hold teams to single digit goals,” Danowski said. “That’s what we look for every game.”

The defense is anchored by senior goalie Aaron Fenton, who allowed only one goal against Penn State.

“I’ve been really impressed the past two games especially,” Pressler said. “Certainly Aaron Fenton is on his game.”

The Greyhound attack is centered on former Blue Devil Matt Monfett. The senior transferred after his sophomore season at Duke after finishing fourth on the team in scoring with 34 points.

Although Pressler downplayed the importance of going up against a former player, many upperclassman feel as if they have something to prove to Monfett.

“I don’t want that kid to score or get one point or anything,” Fenton said. “I will do my best to hold him to nothing. Going against an old teammate of mine motivates me to play better and to focus better.”

In Loyola’s 16-14 loss to Penn State, Monfett netted four goals, but Duke players said Loyola is a more dangerous team than that indicates.

“We are not taking them lightly,” Fenton said. “I think they are a better team than Penn State.”

Fenton has more personal feeling against Loyola than other teammates. His first collegiate start was against the Greyhounds last year, where he recorded 18 saves and his first win.

After the Loyola game, Duke has a full week off before playing North Carolina in Chapel HIll March 19. Even with the Tar Heels looming and the perfect record in tact, Pressler said his team is completely focused on Loyola.

“We all know it is there,” Danowski said of the UNC game. “We know when the date is, but we have to concentrate on Loyola, get to 6-0 and then become 7-0 against UNC.”

Share and discuss “Duke tries to roll by Loyola” on social media.