Academic measure on ballot

After Duke Student Government unanimously passed the measure March 9, a constitutional amendment referendum that addresses several aspects of undergraduate academic life will come before the student body for approval Thursday.

If passed, the Academic Expectations and Responsibilities referendum will amend Section 2 of the DSG Constitution to include seven broad “expectations” students should have with regard to their undergraduate academic experience. The expectations include a strong intellectual community, freedom from bias, mutual respect between students and faculty, an atmosphere of honesty, quality advising, access to academic facilities and increased flexibility for students who need to make up exams or assignments.

Sophomore Senator Joe Fore, the amendment’s author and a candidate for vice president of academic affairs in Thursday’s DSG executive elections, said the measure unifies the most important aspects of undergraduate academics. All amendments to the DSG Constitution must be passed via referendum, but Fore said the new measure has particular value as a referendum because it allows students to “send a message” to the faculty and administration about what they want out of their academic careers.

“It shouldn’t just be the student government or student legislature deciding what the academic experience should be like,” Fore said. “Students need to take an active role, and this is a chance for them to express their opinion on it.”

In addition to garnering the support of DSG, Fore said he consulted several members of the faculty and administration. Provost Peter Lange, who reviewed the document, said he was pleased students took the initiative to set goals for Duke’s academic experience.

“I’m very pleased that this is a student initiative,” Lange said. “It is a sign that students feel themselves to be active participants in creating the climate of learning we want on this campus.”

Fore admitted that the broad, theoretically-based amendment “won’t physically change anything right now,” but he noted that the measure will serve as a foundation for the creation of policies that tangibly enhance academic life.

“It really is a mission statement for the future of the Duke undergraduate experience,” he said. “This document will specifically help the Academic Affairs Committee but also everyone involved with academics.”

Vice Provost for Academic and Administrative Services Judith Ruderman, who told The Chronicle in early March she initially had reservations about some aspects of the amendment, said she now supports the measure because Fore took “collaborative” steps to hammer out the wording of the academic integrity component of the document with both the Academic Integrity Council and Honor Council. Ruderman added that having the measure up for popular vote encourages students to get involved in academic life on both personal and campus-wide levels.

“It’s a good idea for students to support central notions of community and indicate a buy-in into those notions by voting on it,” Ruderman said.

Share and discuss “Academic measure on ballot” on social media.