Duke students have much to learn

As a response to Andrew Collins’ question of “Why they resent us,” I’d submit attitudes like those in Collins’ own column. It strikes me as more than a little inadequate, in a column discussing the reasons for the oftentimes negative perception of our school, to begin with the premise that resentment from the general public towards Duke “is the norm” and end with the conclusion that “there is nothing we can do to make ourselves more popular short of lightening up.”

So, to summarize, very few people like us, but that’s only because we’re simply too talented in too many areas for others to avoid being jealous; and you can’t expect us to wait up for them, now can you?

If Duke University really is like “that uncompromising girl,” with “perfect grades,” and beauty who “parties on the weekend” and “leads with integrity,” then think of anyone you know who truly is all of those things. Come to think of it, that does sound quite like someone, but does the “effortlessly perfect girl” really count as a person?

How many Duke professors must read the most popular opening for a Chronicle column—“We here at Duke are the best of the best in every way, but…”—and chuckle as they sift through papers from kids who still have much to learn? What would Harvard or Yale students say if they got to take a look at a few examples of this mantra in our paper? Would they be impressed? Or would they be inclined to dispute with and maybe even humble us?

The point is that there will always be someone somewhere out there who can, and will, challenge (and maybe even beat!) you in every way you think you’re superior. What would I say to the talented top 6,400 students at UNC, many of whose greatest deficiency wasn’t in academics but in being too middle class for their own financial aid good? Does Duke “constantly steal their thunder” or just not hear it? Could it be that maybe “they” resent us because we’re championing a sort of chauvinism—Duke style?

Philip Sugg

Trinity’07

Share and discuss “Duke students have much to learn” on social media.