Price sweeps Dist. 4 race

RALEIGH — Rep. David Price, D.-Dist. 4, was re-elected by voters in the Triangle area over Republican opponent Todd Batchelor Tuesday night. Speaking to a packed crowd at the Raleigh Convention and Conference Center, Price individually thanked his friends and family and his supporters for their dedication to his campaign.

With all precincts reporting, Price was declared the victor with 62 percent of the votes in the district, which covers all of Durham and Orange counties and parts of Wake and Chatham counties. The veteran Democrat has served in Congress since 1986 for eight terms.

Flanked by friends and family on stage, Price humbly saluted his supporters.

“My heart gives thanks to the voters of the 4th District,” he said.

In his victory speech, Price pledged to continue initiatives—such as improving educational opportunities for North Carolina’s youth—that he has championed in previous terms. He also promised that when he returns to Washington, D.C., he will strive to change things for the better.

From the start, Price’s campaign had a clear advantage over his challenger’s campaign, particularly in the amount of campaign funding. The incumbent raised nearly $800,000 in contrast to Batchelor’s approximately $12,000.

Throughout the campaign, Price often relied on his experience in politics to garner support, while Batchelor’s campaign touted its 34-year-old candidate’s youth as a benefit. Batchelor defeated three older candidates in the Republican primaries for the 2004 nomination.

Price’s victory speech was received positively by audience members in Raleigh.

“I thought he had a great speech and a great campaign,” said Dianna Culbreth, one supporter at the convention center.

Culbreth said she viewed the candidate’s win as a testament to all the hard work he did on the campaign and in the community.

Batchelor had not conceded as of late Tuesday evening, and the Batchelor campaign could not be reached for comment.

A Tennessee native, Price attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill before pursuing post-graduate degrees at Yale University. Upon graduation, he returned to the Tarheel state to work, first as a professor of political science at Duke and then as a public servant.

Batchelor grew up in the Triangle and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington eight years ago.

Share and discuss “Price sweeps Dist. 4 race” on social media.