YMCA alters fee structure

Nearly four months after the University and the YMCA of the Triangle Area decided to terminate their agreement because of differing definitions of “family” in YMCA billing policy, YMCA changed the pricing structure for its members. The new structure will charge same-sex couples with children at the same rate as heterosexual families, but will not categorize such groups as families.

“The YMCA of the Triangle is making changes to its membership pricing structure to make it simpler and easier to understand, and to make sure that all members are being treated equally and fairly,” YMCA Spokesperson Carol Clark said in a statement. Clark declined to comment on the pricing changes.

The change dictates that any unmarried couple, including same-sex partners, will pay two membership rates. One adult and a dependent can to enroll in a category called “husband and wife and children ages 22 and under,” and the other would enroll as an individual. These two rates will be equal to or less than the one paid by a similar married couple.

“A single adult with dependents, and a supporting adult (grandparent, another relative or other adult) will pay the same as a husband and wife and their dependents, if the second adult joins as an adult member,” Clark said in the statement.

YMCA and the University’s office of human resources had reached an agreement in September 2002 wherein Duke would publicize YMCA in its promotional materials, and Duke employees and their families would receive a discounted membership rate.

Duke and YMCA, however, clashed this summer over definitions of family rates. Duke included same-sex couples and their dependents in its definition of family, and YMCA did not. The difference in billing amounted to $22 more per month for the same-sex couples.

The two groups agreed to end the agreement June 28, with Duke officials voicing hopes that YMCA would change its policies. These same administrators, glad the policy has been changed, do not know yet if the agreement will be resumed.

“If they are as they’re reported, I’m very pleased with them,” said John Burness, senior vice president for community affairs and government relations. “We were hoping that they would reach a conclusion that was similar to ours.”

The human resources department has not replaced YMCA in its fitness program, which includes agreements with more than 10 other local businesses. Paul Grantham, a spokesperson for human resources, said YMCA had not yet contacted Duke about resuming the former agreement. Burness said Duke’s departure from the agreement may have spurred the policy change, but the University was not the only concerned party.

“I understand that a few corporations were pressuring quietly,” he added.

Some members of the Duke gay community say the new pricing system is only an initial step in the right direction.

“I think it’s quite odd that a gay or lesbian family is recognized financially, but not recognized in name,” said Karen Krahulik, director of the Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Life. On the other hand, it’s good that same-sex couples are being treated more equitably.”

Share and discuss “YMCA alters fee structure” on social media.