Frank gives candid speech about gay rights

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., an openly gay politician, delivered an hour-long speech to an audience of approximately 400 Thursday night in Page Auditorium that was at once frank, humorous and unpretentious.

Frank’s speech was the central focus of an event, sponsored by the Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Life, celebrating the 10th anniversary of the center and the christening of the new LGBT garden location, directly below the DukeCard office underneath the West Union Building.

“Since it was near the elections, we wanted someone well-known to speak about the importance of how to affect people in public offices in order to make a difference,” said Kerry Poynter, the event organizer and program coordinator for the center.

Frank, a Harvard Law School graduate, addressed a wide variety of issues in his speech, from his distaste for the” don’t ask, don’t tell” policy of the U.S. military to his advocacy of LGBT rights—all while maintaining a light and humorous atmosphere.

He began by speaking about the history of prejudice and exclusion of gays in America, recalling laws passed in the 1960s that tightened restrictions on gay immigrants. The laws referred to homosexuals as “psychopathic personalities” and “sexual deviants,” Frank said.

Frank insisted that he had witnessed a lot of progression in the gay movement since 1970, proudly noting that he had the honor of being a part of the legislative body that repealed the restrictive laws. “I have seen a diminution in prejudice against us in the last few decades that I had not anticipated,” he said. “And I still have trouble wrapping my mind around it.”

Frank also told the audience that he was not asking anyone there to feel grateful about whatever progress has been achieved by the gay community. “The fact that there is less of something terrible than there used to be is nothing to celebrate,” he said. “But we should note the change.”

As for homophobia, Frank surprised some members of the audience by slightly dismissing this form of prejudice, asserting that “most people aren’t homophobic, they just feel that they are supposed to be.” He said most people bear gays no ill will, but they are influenced by respected citizens, such as the president, who say gay marriage will be socially chaotic. “Unfortunately, many people believe them,” Frank added.

Frank finished by addressing his efforts in favor of civil rights bills and ending discrimination. After discussing the continued need for change, he added, “Politics are not fun. They’re not supposed to be fun. The person who shakes your hand and tells you that he is happy to be there is either a liar or a psychopath. A good politician is there because he needs to be.”

Following Frank’s speech, a surprise speaker, President Richard Brodhead, talked about his own observations of homophobia in universities. “It is important to have LGBTs at college because this is the time when people are discovering their identities,” he said.

Poynter said the general consensus of Frank’s speech was that it was refreshing to listen to a politician who was direct, uncensored and spoke to his audience from a personal place. The attendees of the event responded with enthusiastic applause when it was revealed that if Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., is elected president, Frank will begin his campaign to be the first openly gay senator in the history of the United States.

Burt Rauch, Triangle chapter president for the national non-profit organization Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, and his wife Renee Rauch, staff assistant in the department of surgery, were very impressed with Frank’s points and presentation. “He was both interesting and articulate. If you want to change the world and the system, this is what you have to do,” Burt Rauch said.

Share and discuss “Frank gives candid speech about gay rights” on social media.