TheSandbox: What's Hot on the Playground

1. Ripping the VMA’s

For this year’s awards, MTV execs hoped that moving the show to Miami would make it hotter than usual. Wrong. They couldn’t get a host to show up; the expansive settings of the American Airlines Arena made the show look amateurish; and the backyard-like arrivals area caused the pre-show to look like a disorganized beach party. Finally, a lack of notable surprises made this year’s show the tamest (read: boring) in years. To quote one observer, “They should be embarrased.”

1. Famous Sisters

First there was Jamie Lynn Spears, then came Ashlee Simpson, and now, Haylie Duff. RECESS isn’t going to even bother trying anymore. Our older sister, The Chronicle, just doesn’t have the same sex appeal.

1. Reese’s Big Cup with Vanilla Silk

With this delectable chocolate delight paired with the sensuousness of vanilla soy milk, the lactose intolerant never had it so sweet.

1. www.Opensecrets.org

...and just when you think you know someone. Surprise yourself by finding out how much those you know donated to political contests on this public-record database. Some people call it political voyeurism; we at RECESS call it a hobby.

1. The Killers’ “Somebody Told Me”

Move over, Franz Ferdinand. With shimmering guitars, pulsating drum beats and catchy, gender-bending lyrics, this Las Vegas band’s debut single is the best thing to hit radio in months.

Share and discuss “TheSandbox: What's Hot on the Playground” on social media.