Duke's bright future

President Richard Brodhead set the right tone for his tenure as he outlined priorities of community building, academic excellence and a commitment to global health.

The Duke of inauguration weekend—from the panels to the community dance to President Richard Brodhead’s inaugural speech—was the best the University has to offer. The energetic tone of the events was an indication that the University is moving in a new direction under Brodhead’s leadership. In his inaugural address, Brodhead set forth an ambitious agenda that will carry the University into the future.

Brodhead praised “the way this school permits, even encourages, the crossing of intellectual boundaries” and discussed the development of real-world applications in conjunction with intellectual experiences. While it is easy to see these applications in the Medical Center and in disciplines such as the natural and social sciences, it is often more difficult to see the practical application of humanities. Just because the application is difficult, however, does not mean that it is unimportant; humanities dictate the way we communicate and the way we understand one another. They create cultures, form our way of thinking and are an integral part of building communities.

The commitment to real-world applications ties in with Brodhead’s pledge to carry the Duke-Durham Neighborhood Partnership to new heights and his commitment to create an interface among Duke, Durham and the rest of the world. In restating his commitment to global health, with an emphasis on the important interaction between the Medical Center and the rest of the University, Brodhead assured the Duke community that interdisciplinary and translational research would be a priority across all departmental boundaries.

Brodhead’s vision for Duke’s future is right on target. He talked about the need to build the buildings that get Duke where we want to be instead of building for the sake of building—buildings are not the end to which we aspire. He also recognized the need for both great teachers and great researchers, keeping in mind the goal of blending research and teaching instead of isolating them. When faculty members are involved in both research and teaching, they will be able to engage students in these endeavors as well, adding another key component to the intellectual community.

Finally, Brodhead laid out his plans for financial aid. Duke is currently one of the most expensive universities in the country, and although the University’s admissions process is need-blind, that does not mean the University does a good job of recruiting economically disadvantaged students. In addition to dedicating more money to financial aid, the University should recruit students from all walks of life.

Brodhead’s plans for financial aid, as well as his plans for the rest of the University—including more construction projects in the West Union Building renovations and Central Campus—are going to require money. One of former President Nan Keohane’s greatest attributes was her ability to fundraise, and Brodhead must follow in her footsteps if the University hopes to accomplish everything it has set out to do.

Brodhead’s inaugural speech, along with the other events of the weekend, set the stage for a new Duke. The University is not nearly where it wants to be yet, but Brodhead seems prepared to lead Duke into a bright future.

Share and discuss “Duke's bright future” on social media.