Boozer deserves better

I am shocked! Really, I am. I can’t believe that The Chronicle would write such a scathing column on Carlos Boozer. That’s right, THE Carlos Boozer. The same Carlos Boozer that averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds as a freshman. The same Carlos Boozer that averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds as a junior. The same Carlos Boozer that helped Duke win three ACC tournaments. The same Carlos Boozer that helped bring a national championship banner to Cameron.

Why would The Chronicle condemn one of its own? According to Robert Samuel’s Sept. 1 column it was because Boozer’s actions over the summer were “reprehensible” and “ridiculous.” Boozer “let down not only all Cavaliers fans, but all those who looked up to the prolific rebounder for his commendable citizenship.” Samuel claims that Boozer lied, cheated, stole, lied some more and then, and it absolutely amazes me that Samuel would actually write this, Boozer made small children cry.

Maybe tears were shed in Cleveland when Boozer decided to sign with the Utah Jazz. Unfortunately, that’s the only part of Samuel’s article that is true. The rest is simply rumor, misrepresentations, and flat out lies. Let me highlight a few of Samuel’s “facts.”

Quote No. 1: “So ridiculous was Boozer’s behavior that his agent, Rob Pelinka, refused to represent Boozer in the future. Pelinka claimed to be on the Cavaliers’ side and was confused as to why Boozer did not honor his verbal agreement.”

Truth: Boozer’s behavior wasn’t ridiculous and Pelinka didn’t walk out on Boozer. On June 30, the Cavaliers chose not to pick up Boozer’s option and he became a restricted free agent. Both the Jazz and the Cavaliers offered Boozer six-year contracts. However, the Jazz’s offer was worth $26 million over 50 percent more than the Cavaliers’ offer. Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t characterize Boozer’s decision to take the money and run as “ridiculous.” I’m not alone in coming to this conclusion. Aaron Goodwin, who represents LeBron James, said, “You can’t really blame Boozer because he’s a basketball player and should always try to maximize his salary.” As for Pelinka? Well, he didn’t exactly walk out on Boozer... he was forced out. According to an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer (and other sources), Pelinka was forced to end his relationship with Boozer because of pressure from SFX, the sports management company for which Pelinka works. I challenge Samuel to show me one authentic and verifiable quote from Pelinka stating that the agent was “on the Cavaliers’ side.”

Quote No. 2: “Cleveland had no choice but to loose [sic] Boozer without compensation.”

Truth: The Cavaliers did have a choice. In fact, they had at least three options. First, they could have kept Boozer by trading Ilguaskas and several other players in order to free up room under the salary cap. Second, they could have matched the Jazz’s offer by buying out McInnis’ contract for a paltry $300,000. Instead, the Cavaliers allowed Boozer to sign with the Jazz by not matching their offer. The Cavaliers’ decision came down to one thing... money. If Boozer was greedy, then so was the Cavaliers’ management. If the Cavaliers’ front office acted appropriately, then so did Boozer. You simply can’t claim that Boozer was disloyal and that the Cavaliers acted appropriately without being hypocritical.

Quote No. 3: “Boozer continually told Gund and Paxson: ‘If you show respect for me, I will show respect for you.’”

Truth: Samuel represents this as a direct quote from Boozer. It’s not. It’s actually a quote from Gordon Gund, the owner of the Cavaliers, which appeared in an open letter to Cavaliers fans. What Boozer actually said was, “I didn’t make a prior agreement. And if I did I would’ve stayed here [in Cleveland].” In fact, the type of “understanding” alluded to by Gund throughout his letter was strictly forbidden by the NBA, and Boozer knew this. During the negotiations that took place prior to June 30 Boozer claimed that his “agent pulled out the collective bargaining agreement, and he said that the rules don’t allow a verbal or written agreement and everyone at the table understood that.”

Quote No. 4: “Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller reportedly considered finding a way to send Boozer back to the Cavaliers.”

Truth: This is a blatant and intentional misrepresentation of the truth. The Salt Lake Tribune ran a story July 15 in which Larry Miller is quoted as saying, “I woke up at 4:30 this morning [July 14], and I said to [his wife] Gail, ‘I wonder if I ought to call Gordon and ask if he wants him back?’” Instead of calling Gordon Gund, however, Miller called the NBA to find out if he was violating any rules. According to Miller, the NBA “called back 10 minutes later and said you’re going by the book.” When he asked the NBA if his actions were moral, Miller claims he was told, “You’re playing by the rules. Go for it.” Whatever guilt Miller felt was assuaged upon hearing that the NBA approved of the negotiations between Boozer and the Jazz.

Quote No. 5: “Boozer let down not only all Cavaliers fans, but all those who looked up to the prolific rebounder for his commendable citizenship.”

Truth: I have looked up to Boozer, literally and figuratively, since he first arrived on campus. I still do. I feel his “commendable citizenship” remains intact. Not only do I say this as member of the Duke community, but as a Utah native who will be returning to Salt Lake City in less than a year. It will be an honor to have Boozer in our community. My only disappointment is that I won’t be able to personally welcome him when he moves into the neighborhood.

Matthew Droz is a third-year law student.

Share and discuss “Boozer deserves better” on social media.