iPods not needed for great education

Aside from the Olympics, news of the presidential campaigns and occasional visits to the Duke website, I have been rather cut off from U.S. news while studying abroad at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa.  Today, however, I was reminded of life at Duke when I opened Varsity, the UCT student newspaper.  On the second page, in a section labeled “Intercampus,” there was a brief article about Duke freshmen receiving iPods.  The article explained Duke’s technology experiment and concluded with the recognition that, “with more processing power in a single iPod than there are in some of our lab computers, do not expect such extravagance from UCT any time soon.”

I feel very fortunate to be a Duke student and to attend a university with the resources to launch this kind of technology experiment, and I certainly don’t begrudge the class of 2008 for reaping its fruits.  What I have learned here in South Africa, though, is that great minds, world-class research and extensive educational opportunities can exist without lightning-fast Ethernet, without first-rate library facilities and without the technology and innovation we so easily take for granted at Duke.  When I finished reading Varsity’s article, I was reminded that education is about personal growth, intellectual exploration and seizing every opportunity.  And that can be accomplished with or without an iPod.

Becky Logsdon

Trinity ’06

Share and discuss “iPods not needed for great education” on social media.