GA Down Under receives facelift

The GA Down Under is getting done over.

The Gilbert-Addoms Down Under, a space used by students throughout the year, is receiving a general renovation that will include new air conditioner units and wall and ceiling finishes. Students and administrators are already looking forward to the refurbished space, which should be ready by mid-September.

Eddie Hull, executive director of housing services and dean of residence life, noted that the renovations to the Down Under are an exciting and much-needed change.

“What we had was the lack of anything that could be called a destination on East Campus,” Hull said. “Updating the Down Under is just one step in creating such a necessary location.”

As part of the renovations, a new servery will allow vendors to cater formal and informal functions on a scheduled basis. In addition, a portable stage and sound system will house various types of performances, and new rooms will accommodate student groups’ growing need for meeting space.

Project Build is one of the groups that has used the Down Under regularly. Each August, over 100 students flood the Down Under for a week of pre-orientation service projects. This summer, as a result of the renovation, Project Build relocated to Southgate Dormitory’s gym. But senior Clayton Eiswirth, a member of the Build administrative team, said space was tight and members lacked the usual amenities offered in GA Down Under.

“Build has unique needs. We need air conditioning, bathrooms to accommodate over 100 people, carpeting since we sleep on the floor and we like it to be on East Campus so that freshman can get oriented. The Down Under is the only place that fits this description,” Eiswirth said.

Circle K is another student-run organization that uses the Down Under on a regular basis. Circle K President Alec Macaulay explained that the Down Under best serves his group’s needs as well.

“The Down Under is a really good meeting space because it is the perfect size—its smaller than Baldwin and more usable than just the typical commons room,” said Macaulay, a sophomore.

He emphasized that especially at the beginning of the year, when it is important for all student organizations to reach out to the new freshman class, the Down Under is prime real estate. But he also agreed that renovations will be a welcome change.

Hull explained that while full renovation plans were stalled due to a $3 million price tag, this is an “intermediate term renovation” of the space. He will be able to test what will ultimately work best and is hopeful that this change will still have a significant impact.

“We really hope it will provide students, especially those on East Campus, the sense that East Campus is a place where things happen as well,” Hull said.

Share and discuss “GA Down Under receives facelift” on social media.