Golfers swing through memorable summer

This summer could very well be remembered as the most exciting in the men's golf team's history.

Within a three-week span, rising juniors Nathan Smith and Ryan Blaum have both been thrust into the nation's golfing spotlight, thanks to Smith's remarkable play at the 104th U.S. Open at the Shinnecock Hills and Blaum's July 12 championship performance at the Eastern Amateur Tournament at the Elizabeth Manor Country Club in Virginia Beach, Va.

"This has been, without question, the most outstanding play we've had in the summer for some time," said head coach Rod Myers of the duo's outstanding achievements.

Smith's 6-under performance in a Columbus, Ohio regional qualifier was his ticket to the Open, where the junior was provided with the opportunity to mingle with the game's best, including eventual tournament champion Retief Goosen, with whom he played a practice round. Smith displayed tremendous driving accuracy on the opening day, and found himself straddling the cut line after a 3-over opening round. Although he eventually fell short of qualifying for the weekend rounds, the Santa Cruz native still felt very satisfied with his play.

"It was encouraging because I didn't see anything special about the majority of [the professionals]," Smith said. "I was really impressed by [Goosen's] game. I think the gap between him and a lot of the regular pros is not any more substantial than that between myself and him."

Myers expects that Smith's experience will serve him well when he returns to Duke.

"I think he got a heck of an education and also played well," Myers said. "He was in hunt to make the cut with four holes to go when some things didn't happen the way he would have liked, but I think overall it was a great performance for him and a terrific opportunity. I think this will do a lot for the maturing process. Nate's got a lot of talent and he has that laid--back California attitude and I think he's starting to realize, 'Gee whiz, I'm really pretty good. I've got a lot of talent--let's not throw it away, let's go and use it.' I think that's made the difference."

Blaum, an Honorable Mention All-American, will receive a similar confidence boost thanks to his victory at the Eastern Amateur Tournament, where he shot a final round 62 to set a course record and win the championship.

"I think the fact that I was able to shoot 62 with the galleries there and the pressure of the final day of a big amateur event proved something to myself," Blaum said. "Obviously on the final day, everything was clicking. Throughout the tournament I was hitting the ball really solidly but I wasn't making very many putts until the last day. I was very fortunate to play well enough to hang around the leaders for the first three days and put myself in a position to have a chance to win."

Blaum's win has earned him a spot in the Virginia Beach Open, a Nationwide Tour event. Myers noted that Blaum's performance was just another sign of the Coral Gables, Fla. native's potential.

"I think it's a huge win for Ryan," Myers said. "Ryan's coming from a different place than Nate. I think Ryan's always been a little more confident, or cocky--if you're around Ryan you get the feeling that he's been a good player and has been able to accomplish good things--but the one thing he just didn't have was those big wins. He had never put it all together in a major amateur tournament. I think it's going to push Ryan up to another level."

Fellow Junior Alex Wilson, Myers' original pick to win the Eastern Invitational, finished sixth.

While his teammates were competing in Virginia Beach, Smith was preparing for this week's U.S. Amateur Public Links. He was victorious in his first two matches but lost 2 and 1 in the round of 16 Thursday.

Smith, Wilson, and Blaum will all compete in various amateur tournaments in preparation for the U.S. Amateur, which will be played August 16-22 at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, N.Y., the site of the 2006 U.S. Open. Smith has already received an automatic bid for the event.

Share and discuss “Golfers swing through memorable summer” on social media.