Virtual reality distracts chemotherapy patients

A diagnosis of cancer can be devastating--and so can its treatments. But imagine going deep sea diving, solving the mystery of the Titanic, touring an art museum or exploring ancient worlds instead of concentrating on chemotherapy and its side effects.

Susan Schneider, director of the graduate oncology nursing program, has collaborated with medical staff from both the Duke University School of Nursing and Case Western Reserve Comprehensive Cancer Center to develop a new method--virtual reality--to alleviate the symptoms of chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Their study was published in the January 2004 issue of Oncology Nursing Forum.

After working with oncology patients for 20 years, Schneider realized that the "busy bags" patients brought, whether knitting materials, a Game Boy or a book, were not enough to take their minds off the hospital environment.

"Patients always focus on the sickest person in the room, increasing their anxiety and distress," she said. "Through virtual reality they can actually enjoy themselves and forget about what's around them."

To distract chemotherapy patients from the dripping of the IV or the nausea and to ease their fatigue and discomfort, the patients can choose to view one of the virtual reality programs instead. Patients become fully immersed in a new interactive world.

Schneider, who was lead author on the report, said patients have responded positively so far--one commented that it made the dreadful hour seem like only 20 minutes, and others have requested programs featuring deer hunting and even Tom Cruise.

"Often patients request to use the virtual reality again during subsequent chemotherapy treatments," said Kim Lyerly, director of the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. "Several patients have recommended the virtual reality to other patients that they have met in the clinic."

Schneider noted that virtual reality treatment has a 70 to 80 percent success rate for alleviating symptoms, although some patients needed practice in learning to focus their attention. For guided imagery to be successful, the programs must be stimulating but not taxing. Fast movements or stressful scenes may only aggravate nausea or dizziness.

Although other medical institutions offer similar treatment, Duke has led the way in research in order to test the intervention's effectiveness among different age groups, sexes and diagnoses. Funded by the Oncology Nursing Foundation, Schneider's team hopes to conclude their current research by early 2005 with a better understanding of patients' coping styles.

Patients are charged $5 per visit, instead of having to buy palliative pills, which can cost up to $20 per pill. Schneider said she hopes that through virtual reality treatment, patients might need fewer prescriptions and ultimately find coping with their disease--and treatment--a less painful process.

Share and discuss “Virtual reality distracts chemotherapy patients” on social media.