Men's tennis ready for NCAAs

The regular season was filled with big-time wins as well as disappointing losses. The postseason began with an upset loss in the ACC Tournament semifinals. So, while the members of the fifth-ranked men's tennis team (19-7) have been optimistic about their chances of advancing deep into the NCAA Tournament, their confidence has been accompanied by caution before the tournament begins.

"Our team this year has proven that we can beat anyone and lose to an inspired team that plays well," doubles specialist Stephen Amritraj said. "We are going to go in and think of each match as a potential problem and just focus on it one match at a time."

Duke will play its first round match against Winthrop at the Ambler Tennis Stadium at 9 a.m. May 15. Minnesota and Clemson will square off directly afterward, and the two winners will face each other Sunday at noon.

Though Clemson is coming off a finals appearance in the ACC Tournament, many believe Minnesota is just as likely to face Duke in the second round should Duke eliminate Winthrop.

"The first round match [between] Clemson and Minnesota has two teams that are both strong," coach Jay Lapidus said. "The second round could definitely be a battle."

Lapidus added that the Blue Devils will begin the tournament using the same lineup that produced a 4-1 triumph over Wake Forest at the first round of the ACC Tournament. Phillip King, the nation's fifth-ranked player, will play No.1, followed by Ludovic Walter, Jason Zimmermann, Peter Rodrigues, Jonathan Stokke and Chris Brown at the two through six positions, respectively. In doubles, King and Stokke will play No. 1, Zimmermann and Amritraj will hold down No. 2, and Walter and Rodrigues will be No. 3.

"We aren't looking past the first round, but I think in general our chances are good," King said.

Coach Lapidus has enjoyed tremendous success over his fourteen seasons in Durham, winning 10 ACC Championships and over 300 matches, but if the Blue Devils are to give Lapidus his first NCAA title, there is a strong chance the team will have to beat Illinois.

The Fighting Illini, who are currently on an NCAA-record 60 win streak, have beaten Duke twice this season by scores of 4-3 and 6-1. Still, Lapidus believes his team is capable of beating this Goliath of men's tennis.

"In a long tournament they are clearly the favorite, but they are a beatable team," Lapidus said. "Hopefully we get a chance to beat them."

The Blue Devils have maintained high hopes the whole season, and after nearly a month's layoff since their last match, the players believe they are as prepared as can be for the NCAA Tournament.

"We have been doing a lot of conditioning to prepare for the heat and the battles that we are going to have to go through to win," Amritraj said. "Our goal the whole year has been to win the NCAA Tournament."

Share and discuss “Men's tennis ready for NCAAs” on social media.