Commentary: The Best All-Around of the Bests

Duke University is one of the best Universities in the nation. However, despite our standing, some Dukies like to analogize Duke to such schools as Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and Yale. These same people anticipate this time of year when the U.S. News & World Report rankings come out to see whether we have moved up or down in relation to our Ivy League peers. For the people who look solely at the numbers, they unfortunately have a self-created inferiority complex, and miss out on the overall picture. To quote something close to what Einstein once said, you learn just as much outside of the classroom as you do inside; our time here definitely thrives on that exact logic. Duke, whether as an undergraduate, graduate or professional, provides us with an outstanding overall university experience. To add a new ranking to the mix, I would like to rank us number "1" amongst the very elite and prestigious as the best all-around school. Here are the ten reasons why:

10. Three of the best professional schools in the nation--The medical, business and law schools continue to put out some of the best and brightest in their fields year-after-year. For most of these students who did not attend Duke as an undergrad, they get the opportunity to catch some of the fervor that keeps our alumni supporting our Duke Blue year after year.

9. Recreation Facilities, Physical Education & the IM Leagues--A state of the art weight-room, ellipticals galore, two gyms, dance studios, a full array of basketball courts that play host to intramurals, Quenchers and a future Quenchers on East, turf fields, cardio-classes, yoga, televisions in Brodie, indoor tracks, a full array of courses, club sports and racquetball courts. Enough said.

8. Outdoor Activities--Some of the best running paths and routes, including East Campus, the golf course, the Forest, between campuses and access to Wally Wade, give us the means to take advantage of the Spring and Fall seasons of the South. Throw in the Washington-Duke Golf Course via a Robert Trent Jones model and a wide array of other events that take place outside, including the long-lost game of "Frizz-Beer." As Dave Matthews said when he played campus a few years back, you see Duke students out and about, being and living, both healthy and happy.

7. Study Breaks, Road Trips and Get-Aways-- RDU Airport lets us fly directly to New York, Miami and Las Vegas. We have awesome mountains and the Appalachian Trails to the west and the beach and the Atlantic coast to our east, both an easy car ride away. A new shopping mall with a Nordstrom's, a four hour drive to DC, the college town of Chapel Hill, Hurricanes hockey, the Durham Bulls and major concerts at Walnut Creek.

6. Room to grow--Being the youngest of the best universities, we still have so much room to grow. The Class of 2004 has been a witness to this expansion on a physical basis, and future generations will see the benefits of Nan's multi-billion dollar fundraising campaign. A new dorm and art museum, as well as additions to the library and law school will augment our reputation to the top. I left for a year, came back to finish law school, and so much had changed for the better. Imagine this place five years from now.

5. Durham and the Research Triangle -- Everyone complains about Durham, but there is no better place to be a student than in this area. The region remains a conducive place for those of us who live here for one to seven years; unlike a major city, the surrounding areas revolve around us. With two other major universities close by as well as a number of smaller colleges, we are catered to anywhere we go within a thirty-mile radius.

4. A beautiful campus carved out of a forest--Natural green all around, and not the artificial Disneyland-like feeling (Stanford). The Gothic and Southern architecture let you know the importance of where you're at before you enter a dorm or classroom. The splendor of the Duke Gardens during a sunny day, and their majesty in the moonlight at night speak highly about the natural wonders all around us.

3. In the South--South of the Mason-Dixon (or Philadelphia, Pa.), and east of the Mississippi (or Berkeley, Ca.), we stand alone as the lone top university in the land of Dixie. Our domain gives a unique character in that we actually have a changing of the seasons and can enjoy the perfect Fall and Spring. Great cuisine, southern hospitality, and a non-satellite of New York, Boston or San Francisco sensation cannot be found anywhere else amongst the best.

2. Basketball--The culture begun by Coach K, the founding of K-Ville, and Cameron make us the envy of college students across the nation. Nothing else brings an entire student population together, and when we win, we do it in style. No riot gear or tear gas needed here. The first college basketball gameday, the adoration of Dick Vitale and ESPN, and the 1992 game against Kentucky have all sealed us as the best program in college basketball. The corresponding social life at sports bars, Monday morning conversations, and organized witty cheers will always be one-of-a-kind.

1. The Student Body - The dynamic, charismatic, versatile and non-socially inept character and personalities of Duke students set us apart from the rest. Smart, hard-working and diligent, while at the same time living true to the creed of studying hard, but sometimes partying even harder make us the best all-around individuals of the nation's top universities and colleges. The list of positive adjectives describing the array of people I have encountered at Duke may seem trite, but after talking to some students at the other major universities, I know that Duke has the best of all worlds.

David Nefouse is a second-year law student. His column appears every other Friday.

Share and discuss “Commentary: The Best All-Around of the Bests” on social media.