Face-offs crucial factor as men's lacrosse takes on VMI

When Matt Zash or Dan Oppedisano hunkers down against the Virginia Military Institute's midfielder for the opening face-off of Tuesday night's game, more than the game's first possession could be at stake: Duke's ability to control the ball coming out of face-offs could be the deciding factor in the competition.

The ninth-ranked Blue Devils' win over 19th-ranked UMBC Saturday told a story of two halves. During the first two quarters, Duke (1-0) raced to a 9-3 advantage, largely predicated on its ability to control the ball off face-offs and move it quickly downfield. In the second half, UMBC dominated the face-offs, and outscored the Blue Devils, 5-2. For the game, Duke won only five of 22 face-offs, with only one win coming in the second half.

Sophomore Zash and freshman Oppedisano have been charged with the task of replacing Devan Wray and Kevin Cassese, who coach Mike Pressler calls "two of the best face-off men in the history of the Duke program." In past years, Wray and Cassese had unusually high percentages of face-offs won, and the team is adjusting to life without such strong and experienced face-off men.

"We are concentrating on improving our wing play, doing a better job gathering up the ball [after the face-off]," Pressler said.

The face-off "X" is not the only area where the team's lack of inexperience shows; 11 newcomers--including nine freshmen, a sophomore walk-on and a junior transfer--saw time against UMBC. Freshman goalie Dan Loftus, who made 12 saves against the Terriers, was not even named the starter until three days before the game.

And just when it seemed that the Blue Devils could not afford to lose any more experience, senior defensive standout Bill Gerrish went down at the end of Monday's practice with a leg injury, the extent of which is not known.

"The defense could be at a severe loss if his injury is serious," Pressler said. "But we have 43 guys who are ready to step in for him."

VMI is not going to need any extra advantage against the Blue Devils. Pressler said the Keydets are an extremely well-coached, athletic and physical team that will make up for any lack of lacrosse ability with hard play. Still, he is confident in his team.

"We've got to be ready for them," Pressler said. "If we are, and we jump on them, the score will take of itself. We have to put two halves together, with dominating defense and good transition offense."

Share and discuss “Face-offs crucial factor as men's lacrosse takes on VMI” on social media.