Sam Fisher's solo Excursion

Like high socks on the basketball court, kegs on campus and corporal punishment in public education, Sam Fisher belongs to the old school. The former frontman of the Duke-frequenting rock-soul outfit Weekend Excursion, Fisher is now at work on a full-length solo album in Georgia, and his tour brings him to Carrboro's GO! Rm. 4 club tonight ($6, 9 p.m.).

The Greenville, NC native hopes to enhance his reputation, earned with Weekend Excursion, as a captivating live performer. "It's gonna be a laid-back acoustic show [tonight]," Fisher said. "It'll be me, some buddies from Maverick Records, a buddy from DC." The friends Fisher will be playing with are Charlotte trio Justincase and singer-songwriter Shane Hines.

Despite the relaxed, acoustic show he has planned, Fisher's on-stage intensity and personal songwriting promise a powerful performance tonight. "I'm very passionate onstage--I really like to get into it," said the Eastern Carolina University grad. His only solo release to date is a four-song EP entitled Who Are You?, containing a lot of the same soul-, funk- and rock-inspired songwriting, most notably on the "Let's Get it On"-like "Nothing Left to Do."

"There are going to be some Weekend Excursion songs, a few from the new record; all in all, a little bit of everything," Fisher said. Fisher has been experimenting with different setlists on the road, and he considers touring a mixed blessing: "I least like not having a set schedule, but it's good to be in a different city every night, seeing the best of each city.

"I'm a roots type of guy," Fisher said, describing his musical influences. "I aspire to be like a Curtis Mayfield, a Stevie Wonder, a Marvin Gaye." Even Fisher's superhero preferences are old-school, hearkening back to a long time ago in a galaxy far away. "I'd rather be a Jedi Knight than Wolverine," he said. "They're a lot more in control, a lot more aware."

Share and discuss “Sam Fisher's solo Excursion” on social media.