Review: Blindside's New Record "About a Burning Fire"

In 2002, following the release of their Elektra debut Silence, Blindside showed every sign of a band looking to capitalize on the growing popularity of hardcore in the United States. Two years later, these Swedish rockers are at it again, fusing together raging vocals, thumping bass lines and violent guitar riffs into forty-five minutes they call About a Burning Fire. Unfortunately, these sounds only make up about half the songs on the twelve-track album.

At times, the four-piece echoes blasts that are uncharacteristically reminiscient of the Foo Fighters, like on "Swallow," where singer Christian bellows for two and a half minutes, chanting the words "taste" and--you guessed it--"swallow." On other songs, the band finds itself exploring territories unknown on previous records. If you're a Titanic fan, for instance, there's "Shekina," a softer ballad which opens with a twenty second Gaelic cry by Celine Dion. Okay, so it might not be Celine, but the voice sure as hell reminds you of the French-Canadian diva. Granted, for a "hardcore" band, the inclusion of this high-pitched female might be pushing the boundary between musical experimentation and musical faux pas. For some listeners, that may be exactly what you are looking for, while for others it may be exactly the thing you want to avoid.

Overall, while far from bad, About a Burning Fire lacks the fire that the title suggests. You'd expect more from a band looking to please the fan-following it secured after its last release. Unfortunately, however, Blindside's inconsistencies mar this new effort.... And you never even saw it coming.

Share and discuss “Review: Blindside's New Record "About a Burning Fire"” on social media.