Beard hits another milestone as Duke cruises

With the score tied at 20 early in the Duke women's basketball game against visiting Virginia on Thursday night, Blue Devil coach Gail Goestenkors noticed that her team was a bit slow.

"I thought we started off a little sluggish," Goestenkors said. "We turned the ball over. Fifteen times in the first half was a little distressing."

The early sluggishness quickly turned into Duke dominance, as the home team responded with a commanding 14-3 run into the intermission. The Blue Devils proceeded to run away with the game in the second half, eventually chalking up an 87-54 victory over the Cavaliers (12-13, 5-8 in the ACC). All-American Alana Beard once again led Duke (21-3, 12-1), pouring in 27 points, while Lindsey Harding tied a career-high with nine assists.

On the heels of its first-half sloppiness, Duke took care of the ball in the second period, committing only three turnovers. Once they stopped turning the ball over, it didn't take long for the Blue Devils to bury the Cavaliers. Only seven minutes into the second half, Alison Bales found herself on the receiving end of one of Harding's pinpoint passes, giving the Blue Devils a 20-point lead with a layup and ensuing foul shot.

"Everything really had to do with us taking care of the basketball," Goestenkors said.

Beard scored consistently throughout the contest, and surpassed yet another milestone by reaching the 2,500-point mark for her career. She reached the achievement by converting on a short jumper with 11:19 remaining. Beard, however, was unaware of her accomplishment.

"I had no clue," Beard said. "I just play."

While Harding's passing was crucial to Duke's success, she contributed in other ways as well, most notably with her work on the glass. The 5-foot-8 floor general led the team in offensive rebounds with four, and had seven overall.

"When Vicki Krapohl is in at the same time I'm in, I just keep attacking the boards," Harding said.

Monique Currie also controlled the boards, adding 12 rebounds. Defensively, Beard was again the star, with four takeaways, all in the first half. The shooting guard is now only 15 steals away from becoming the first player in NCAA history, men's or women's, to compile 2,500 points and 400 steals for a career.

With the victory, the Blue Devils put themselves in familiar territory. They clinched at least a tie for the ACC regular season title, and can ensure sole possession of the crown with a victory Sunday at Maryland.

Share and discuss “Beard hits another milestone as Duke cruises” on social media.