Staff Editorial: Campus Council makes space

Campus Council and the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services have gotten the ball rolling, now it's up to Duke Student Government to close the deal.

Wisely, Campus Council recently chose to tackle a fairly practical inequity on campus--the inability of independent students and informal groups to reserve residential space like commons rooms and the McClendon Tower in the West-Edens Link. Together with Eddie Hull of RLHS, a majority of the existing roadblocks to independent space access have been removed.

Campus Council's decision to focus on realistic campus issues is both refreshing and welcome, and the community will benefit from CC's efforts. Tangible examples of projects undertaken by student governing organizations are a rarity, and other groups should follow CC's lead. Students considering running for office in the Spring should take particular note, and incorporate more realistic goals into their policy strategies.

Campus Council's resolution will allow informal groups of students and independents to reserve meeting and residential space across campus. As it stands, only established groups are eligible to host events and gatherings in those locations. This is not a fair policy. The dorms are as much home to unaffiliated students as they are to members of selective living groups or formal organizations, and equal access should not even be a question. In the past, issues of accountability have prevented University officials from allowing non-established groups to use the space.

While this concern is valid, it is hardly a problem that cannot be overcome, as Campus Council has proven. Students using University space should be responsible for any damage caused. Consequently, officials are entertaining several plausible methods of keeping track of events, such as asking those students in charge of gatherings to provide their Duke UniqueID numbers.

The only remaining obstacle sits under the purview of DSG and the Office of Student Activities and Facilities. Events that involve alcohol, amplified sound or decorations must be registered with the Office of Student Activities and Facilities in addition to RLHS. Event registration must be expanded to include independents and informal groups. DSG should make this issue a priority, and move with expediency to bring the changes to fruition.

Share and discuss “Staff Editorial: Campus Council makes space” on social media.