Search for new coach intensifies

Athletic director Joe Alleva announced that the interview process for the head coaching job of Duke's football team will begin at the end of November or in early December for potential candidates in a meeting with the press Monday. Alleva mentioned that over 50 coaches have contacted him with interest in the job, and that five finalists will be interviewed by the athletic department. Alleva also communicated that interim head coach Ted Roof is still a major candidate for the job and will be one of the five coaches with whom Alleva will meet in about a month.

Alleva announced Monday the five former Duke players who will advise him on the coaching search that began when Carl Franks was fired in October. The advisors include Hal McElhaney, Leo Hart, Cedric Jones, Bob Pascal, and Anthony Dilweg. Also consulting for Alleva is Gene Carrigan, a former ACC commissioner who has helped several schools in coaching searches.

Alleva mentioned that he would rather hire someone with head coaching experience at the college level, though coordinators and individuals with only NFL experience will be considered. Alleva also said that money will most likely not be an issue in who the school hires.

"We haven't gotten to that point yet, talking about money, but we can't afford Steve Spurrier," Alleva said. "I guess for some coaches money can be a factor, but we're going to try to get the best coach we can and not let money be a factor."

Alleva said that age or specializing in defense or offense would not be factors in the search.

"I'm looking for someone who can motivate, recruit and teach," Alleva said. "It doesn't matter if they are an offensive or defensive coach."

While some feel Duke is a difficult place to attract a coach, Alleva argued that Duke would be a great place for a coach to come.

"It's a great job," Alleva said. "We've got everything in place to have a good football program. Our academics are a selling point, not a negative. We're in a great football conference. If you can't go into a [high school recruit's] house and sell Duke University, you're not much of a coach. Believe it or not I don't have to sell coaches on [Duke]."

Share and discuss “Search for new coach intensifies” on social media.