RLHS looks to add new assoc. dean

In an effort to improve residential programming, Residence Life and Housing Services will hire a new associate dean in the spring.

Eddie Hull, director of RLHS, said the new dean will be responsible for a number of elements surrounding residence life programming, including staff supervision and development and the implementation of a programming model that will more closely link residential life with the University's academic mission.

"I'm looking forward to having someone in that leadership role to give the additional support needed to make a difference that matters," Hull said, adding that he will relinquish some of his present responsibilities to the new hire. "The new associate dean will be able to do things that I just don't have time to do justice to right now."

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, said the new dean will be in touch with residence coordinators, department heads and advisers, among others, to bring a variety of activities into the residence halls.

For years, Student Affairs has been trying to improve the intellectual climate on campus through residential and social programming. The RC position was created in July 2002 under a directive from Moneta and has given rise to a number of events such as Tailgate with the Teach in September and the Academic Survivor Competition in early October.

Programming this year has also included some "oldies but goodies" such as Craven Crossfire, a debate hosted in Craven Quadrangle and modeled after the popular CNN television show.

"The associate dean will continue to elevate all of the work that we've begun on the general quality of life for students in the residences, and in particular will continue to expand on the intellectual life on campus," Moneta said. "It's a matter of taking the agenda we've already articulated and expanding on it."

Hull said that, with the new dean overseeing the implementation of the office's programming plans, he will have more time to tackle his office's broader, long-term strategic responsibilities.

The new position has already been approved for the RLHS budget for this year. Hull said he has not yet begun the search for the new associate dean but he hopes to bring someone on board for the spring.

Share and discuss “RLHS looks to add new assoc. dean” on social media.