Duke adds Smith to class of 2008

The Duke women's basketball team received a key commitment from one of the nation's top high school recruits on Tuesday, as Wanisha Smith announced her decision to play for the Blue Devils.

Smith, a 5-foot-11 guard from Washington, D.C., joins center Chante Black and forward Laura Kurz in Duke's three-member class of 2008, which should be one of the strongest in the nation.

"I think it's very, very important that Duke got Smith," said recruiting guru Bret McCormick of the All Star Girls Report. "She can handles the ball well, she can shoot off the dribble, and she can shoot the three. She's just a great all-around player. She probably gives Duke a top-five or top-six recruiting class."

As a junior at Riverdale Baptist High School, Smith averaged 21.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, four assists and four steals per game and earned third-team All America honors.

The consensus top-15 pick chose Duke over Maryland, Florida and Notre Dame, although her decision ultimately came down to the Blue Devils and the Irish.

"Right after I visited, I knew that Duke was one of my top choices," Smith said. "But it took a lot of writing down the pros and cons of each school over and over before I finally decided."

Smith is already familiar with many players on Duke's roster, as she grew up in Ohio with current Blue Devil freshmen Brittany Hunter and Alison Bales. She also played at the Nike All-America Camp with Kurz and competed against Black at the elite USA Basketball Youth Development Festival last summer.

"I felt like I fit right in at Duke," she said. "I just loved the people and the coaches. The academics, of course, also stood out."

On the same day that Smith announced her choice, the Blue Devils also learned that they had lost the nation's No. 1 recruit, forward Candace Parker, to Tennessee.

Smith, who is good friends with 2003 Naismith Player of the Year, respected Parker's decision, even though she would have liked to have played with her.

"I love Candace to death, but I'm glad that she's happy," Smith said. "I know that she'll do well no matter where she is."

Although nabbing Parker would have been a huge boost for the Blue Devils, Smith can fill an immediate need in the backcourt.

When she arrives at Duke, she will share the point guard duties with current sophomore Lindsey Harding and will help to fill the void left when three-year starter Vicki Krapohl graduates in 2004.

"Wanisha is special because she's got great size for a guard and she can play the one or the two [position]," McCormick said. "There are always a lot of little guards around, but it's nice to get a big one. Because she's strong she'll be able to step right in and be an impact player. She should get a lot of playing time right away."

After months of weighing her choices, Smith is relieved to have the process over and excited about becoming a Blue Devil.

"Words can't even explain how happy I am," she said. "When I called [head coach Gail Goestenkors] to tell her, it was like a big weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm thrilled with my choice, and I can finally get back to focusing on school and basketball season now."

Share and discuss “Duke adds Smith to class of 2008” on social media.