Tennis teams off to good ITA start

Men's Tennis

Mens' tennis enjoyed a successful day at the ITA Region II Indoor Championships Thursday in Chapel Hill. The team went 4-1 overall, with two doubles teams advancing to the quarterfinals.

The doubles team of Peter Rodrigues and Jason Stokke won two matches for the second consecutive day. They upset UNC's third-seeded tandem of Raian Luchici and Nicholas Monroe, 8-0, and then, less than five hours after the start of their first match of the day, dispatched of George Mason's Tim Bainton and Tito Ballestar, 8-4.

The other doubles team, fourth-seeded Ludovic Walter and Jason Zimmerman advanced to the quarterfinals with a victory over Campbell's Jiri Beranek and Ryan Mills and an 8-3 victory over UNC-Wilmington's Scott Curry and Danilo Mendes.

Duke's lone singles player competing on Thursday, Ryan Heinberg, won his first match 6-4, 6-3 over American's Juncarlo Vazquez, but then withdrew with injury from his second round match with Winthrop's Michael Kwiecien, and failed to qualify for the main draw.

Despite Heinberg's loss, five Blue Devils will compete in the 64-man main draw tomorrow. Walter, seeded second, headlines the group, which also includes Steven Amritraj, Chris Brown, Rodrigues and Stokke.

Also tomorrow, Walter and Zimmerman will face Virginia Commonwealth's Arnaud Lecloerec and Fransesc Lleal and Rodrigues and Stokke will play sixth-seeded John Chesworth and Patrick Fillnow from Furman. The two remaining Duke teams would not face each other unless both reached the finals.

Women's Tennis

Duke freshman Parker Goyer won a pair of matches yesterday to advance to the main draw of the 2003 Omni Hotel ITA Southeast Regionals, which is being held in Winston-Salem, N.C.

The Birmingham, Ala., native downed North Carolina's Tanja Markovich 6-0, 5-7, 6-3 and Jennifer Jassawalla of N.C. State, 6-4, 6-2.

The doubles tandem of Saras Arasu and Kristen Cargill also moved on by ousting a duo of South Carolina, 8-2.

Competition begins in earnest today, as Cargill, Julia Smith, Jennifer Zika, Tory Zawacki and Arasu will all play in the main singles draw. Duke's doubles teams of Amanda Johnson/Zika and Smith/Zawacki have first round byes.

Share and discuss “Tennis teams off to good ITA start” on social media.