Roof's style surprises Wolfpack defense

Throughout its polar history, coaching football at Duke has always been a tricky affair. Luckily for the Blue Devils, interim head coach Ted Roof has thus far shown quite a knack for delusion.

In Roof's first game at the helm last Saturday against N.C. State, a rejuvenated Duke line-up ran an on-side kick play, several reverses, rotated quarterbacks and used linebackers as fullbacks all in hopes of foiling the heavily favored Wolfpack before coming up short, 28-21.

Roof agrees that he is open to unconventional tactics, but feels the word "tricky" is too hyperbolic for what he does. He does not think his off-kilter play calling is an attempt to show how he can outsmart the world of college football. The plays are not tricks; they are simply adjustments.

"The coaches that have influenced me talked about making adjustments...trying to ask your players what they are capable of doing and giving your team the best chance to win," he said. "And now having a chance to have input on the offensive side, it's fun."

Roof's quick-thinking plays have helped keep the Duke players on their toes, exciting them for chances to do something out of the ordinary.

"As coaches you've got to continually evolve and not get stagnant...you see a little wrinkle here, a little wrinkle there," Roof said. "I think it keeps the players fresh too. We all like to learn new things and do new things; our players aren't any different."

Linebacker Ryan Fowler and beefy defensive tackle Matt Zielinski showed the extremes of Roof's schemes when each player lined up at fullback on Duke's unsuccessful attempt to convert on the two yardline at the end of the first half Saturday.

Fowler and Zielinski both played fullback at times in high school, but as Roof joked, "that was about 65 or 70 pounds ago." Roof created the play for Fowler and Zielinski only a day before the game because he felt the two gave the team the best chance at converting in certain circumstances.

"We figured [Fowler] was our best bet at [helping the team gain a yard]," Roof said. "He's big, he's fast, and he's not afraid to stick his nose in there. We gave him a shot, then Zielinski got jazzed, so we looked at him, too."

The absence of star fullback Alex Wade due to injury was another rationale for using the defensive players in the backfield. Wade is expected to be 100 percent for Saturday's game against Tennessee.

Roof's unique vision of football touched on the quarterback position Saturday, as well. Regular starter Mike Schneider sat out the game with a shoulder injury, giving Roof the opportunity to throw several new looks at the very inexperienced N.C. State defense.

Roof played both the static, reliable Adam Smith and the moxy, road runner-esque Chris Dapolito, switching the two constantly.

While the team came up seven points short against the Wolfpack, State's players were still somewhat unraveled by the multiple-quarterback situation.

"We weren't ready for them to switch like that," N.C. State linebacker Pat Thomas said. "No. 9 [Dapolito], it seemed like he hurt us today. We didn't see him that much on tape."

Things only look to get more complicated for opposing defensive coordinators, as Roof said he has considered playing Schneider, Smith and Dapolito this weekend against No. 19 Tennessee.

The constant change in quarterbacks did not inhibit Duke's receiving corps, either, as rhythm persisted with both Dapolito and Smith.

"It didn't affect the receivers that much," wide receiver Khary Sharpe said. "We practice with all the quarterbacks. We definitely trust all of them to make the right decisions."

Sharpe also benefited from Roof's schemes, as many reverse handoffs came his way.

"The N.C. State defense was really pursuing the ball to the sidelines," Sharpe said. "Whenever we gave the ball to Chris [Douglas], they thought it was the run play that we normally run. The misdirection threw the defense off a little bit. It was something that was definitely successful for us all day long."

Duke will need to pull off even more tricks to stay competitive with Tennessee in Leyland Stadium with its 104,079 fans.

"When you go out in front of that many people, you want to prove that you can play football," Sharpe said. "Regardless of what people say, Duke is a good football team. We're excited to go down there and show off."

Share and discuss “Roof's style surprises Wolfpack defense” on social media.