Duke wins fourth straight title

Many coaches around the nation are probably asking themselves if the Blue Devils will ever lose a tournament.

After this weekend's performance in Sandestin, Fla., the answer appears to be not anytime soon, as Duke took home its fourth consecutive victory of the season by claiming the ACC/SEC Challenge by shooting a 36-hole--and school record--total of 552 at The Raven Course.

The Blue Devils were led by sophomore Liz Janangelo as she took home first place this weekend. Her two day total of 134 was a new Duke record for an individual performance. She added to her accolades with a final-round 65, which was not only her career-best round, but also a new school and tournament record. Janangelo's first place finish this weekend is the third time this season she has claimed the individual title.

The only negative of the weekend was the fact that the Blue Devils could not extend their 32-shot lead thanks to a rained out final round.

"This group is going to be disappointed anytime they can't play," head coach Dan Brooks said. "They are psyched to play and are playing well."

En route to victory, Duke defeated an unbelievable field, including tenth-ranked Florida, fourth-ranked Auburn and North Carolina. The third-place finish for the Tigers this weekend marks the third time this season that Auburn has been unable to match the Blue Devils' scores.

For the third straight tournament, Duke turned in record-breaking performances. This weekend, the team broke the old 36-hole school record of 559 set just last week at the Stanford/Pepsi Intercollegiate.

"I don't have to do anything to motivate this team," Brooks said. "They are playing for team records and individual records."

Freshman Anna Grzebien also held a key component to the team's victory this weekend. Her 36-hole score of 140 was good enough to earn her sole possession of second place. Grzebien attributes her strong performance this season to two things: confidence and fellow freshman Brittany Lang.

"If I hadn't gone in with another freshman, I might have been lost," she said.

The rest of the Blue Devils all tied for third place along with Auburn's Jennifer Head. Virada Nirapathpongporn, Leigh Anne Hardin and Lang each shot 141 over two rounds.

Looking to the future, the team strives to maintain its success.

"We are just going to keep on doing the same thing we have been doing," Grzebien said. "We have to stay strong mentally."

Duke hopes to continue its winning streak next week in Myrtle Beach, as it plays in the Hooter's Collegiate Match Play Championship.

Share and discuss “Duke wins fourth straight title” on social media.