Grant leads Duke past Spartans

With a dominating 2-0 victory over No. 7 Michigan State (5-3), the No. 4 field hockey team (6-1) defeated its second top-10 opponent in two days, and is well on its way to realizing its goal of reaching the nation's upper echelon. After controlling the Spartans for the first half, but failing to capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities, the Blue Devils took the lead 43 seconds into the second half. Katie Grant dribbled down the right side on a partial fast break and knocked the ball past the goalie into the right side of the net.

Gracie Sorbello, who scored the game-winner against Old Dominion Sunday, completed the scoring with seven minutes remaining, knocking in a rebound off a corner.

The offense was swarming, shooting 16 times, and the defense was solid, holding Michigan State to just eight shots. "We were in our attacking end almost the entire game," Duke head coach Beth Bozman said. "Michigan State stresses long hits rather than tight passes and we played really good pressure defense that took away their passing offense."

When the Spartans did penetrate the defense, goalie Christy Morgan was up to the task, making several great one-on-one saves. While the team was frustrated by its inability to convert scoring opportunities early on, it was pleased by its second big win in a row, and Bozman said she can see the team getting better every game.

"We set our game plan and followed through for 70 minutes," she said. "Even when things weren't falling for us, we never altered our approach. The first priority for this team is defense; now we need to finish."

The win came on the heels of Sunday's victory over perennial national title contender Old Dominion, a triumph which Bozman deemed a "benchmark game." Bozman said she jumped at the chance to play back-to-back games against top-caliber opposition because it would prepare her team for the NCAA tournament, where first- and second-round games are played on consecutive days.

"We have to put these teams on the schedule, play them and beat them," Bozman said. "Our goal is to reach the upper echelon, and the only way to do that is to put it on the line every game."

Share and discuss “Grant leads Duke past Spartans” on social media.