GPSC plans tenting

Basketball fever is here. Well, almost. 

First murmurs of the Cameron Indoor Stadium roar emerged Tuesday night at the second Graduate and Professional Student Council meeting of the year. 

Brian Berman, third-year law student and co-chair of GPSC's basketball committee, spent fifteen minutes fielding questions about the graduate and professional student camp-out for tickets Oct. 3 to 5. 

Things will be pretty much the same this year, Berman said.

"We have a little more food being sold than usual," Berman said. "But we're going to make sure it doesn't become a flea market-type environment--that was my main concern." 

Also at the meeting, members of the board voted on a number of infrastructure issues. The board approved GPSC president Rob Saunders' appointment of molecular and cell biology graduate student Zach Schafer as vice president and second-year law student Matt Block as communications coordinator. 

Schafer said the board would also be changing its voting policy this year to a less formal procedure. 

"In the past, we used to do a Robert's Rules of Order-type thing," Schafer said. "Basically, we're going to just ask for [the board's] approval of the minutes this year." 

Without a single vote of dissent, the board went on to approve the minutes from the last meeting, the GPSC budget and first phase of group funding. 

GPSC members also approved the council's seven internal committees, tailored this year to meet the specific interests of the board as a whole, rather than just the executive board. This year's committees are student life, publicity, buildings and grounds, parking and transportation, health insurance and health care, community service and undergraduate mentoring. 

Each committee also presented three goals for the coming year. In preparation of a joint meeting with the Duke Student Government before President Nan Keohane in two weeks, the committees also offered questions they hope to ask her 

.

Share and discuss “GPSC plans tenting” on social media.