Crime Briefs

Rapes reported

Durham police investigators are asking for information about two recent rape cases. The first case was reported Sept. 11 and the second occurred Sept. 13.

The first victim told officers she was at Cook Road and Fayetteville Street around 4 p.m. waiting for a bus to take her to the hospital when a man driving a green or teal SUV stopped and offered her a ride. The man allegedly took her to a secluded area behind a brick building somewhere near Githens Middle School and raped her.

The suspect is described as a black male with a light complexion, 30 to 35 years old, 5 feet 11 inches tall and 180 to 190 pounds. He had a full beard and mustache and a short Afro hairstyle. He had small, thin lips, a wide nose and a feminine-sounding voice. He also had a tattoo on his right shoulder.

The second alleged incident happened around 4 a.m. Sept. 13 near the U.S. Post Office on Kangaroo Drive. The victim got out of her car to retrieve a letter she had dropped and noticed a light-colored equipment van in the parking lot. One man stayed in the van while two men got out and approached the victim. One man was armed with a large, jagged knife and the second man punched her twice in the stomach. The men threatened to cut her if she tried to get away, then drove her to an unknown location and raped her.

The suspects are described only as three Hispanic males.

Anyone with information on either case is asked to call investigator M. Soucie at 560-4440, ext. 248, or CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases.

Man charged with trespassing
At 1:15 a.m. Sept. 13, Chadwick Mangum, DOB April 9, 1980 of 1901 Roxboro Street, was charged with trespassing in the Duke Hospital North front lobby. He was given a Sept. 30 court date and could not be reached for comment.

Cell phones missing
A visitor reported that between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sept. 11, he accidentally left his blue $200 Sanyo camera cellular phone, with a color belt clip, in the men's bathroom on the second floor of the Duke Children's Hospital. When he returned, he discovered the phone was missing.

In a separate incident, a student reported that between midnight and 12:20 a.m. Sept. 14, she was at a party in Wannamaker Dorm #2. During that time she was charging her cell phone. When she returned for her $50 Nokia 4820 cell phone, white in color, it was missing.

Laptop stolen
A student reported that between 10 and 10:05 a.m. Sept. 13, he was working at the librarian desk in Lilly Library. He left the desk to assist a patron, and when he returned his $2,000 blue Toshiba laptop computer, $100 black Toshiba power converter and $100 black Toshiba wireless mouse adapter had been stolen.

Wallet gone
An employee reported that between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sept. 11, someone entered her office located in Biological Science Building and stole her unprotected wallet from her purse, containing credit/debit cards, checkbook, driver's license, Social Security card and keys. She discovered that her credit card was used to make several purchases.

Employee receives harassing calls
An employee reported that from July through Sept. 12 she has received harassing and threatening calls from her ex-spouse while at her workplace in Pickens Family Health Clinic.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.