Catching up with Elton Brand, Roy Williams and the U.S. Dream Team

NEW YORK-- His jersey does not hang in the rafters in the north end of Cameron Indoor Stadium, nor does he have any of Duke's three national championship rings. Yet entering his fifth NBA season, Elton Brand just might be on his way to becoming the Blue Devil product with the most successful professional career.

Brand spent just two seasons at Duke, ending his collegiate career with a disappointing loss to Connecticut in the 1999 national title game. As expected, the then-21-year-old became the first Duke product to forgo his remaining two seasons of eligibility and try his hands in the NBA.

Selected by the Chicago Bulls with the first pick of the 1999 NBA Draft, the 6-foot-8 power forward missed just one game of his rookie season averaging over 20 points and earning co-rookie of the year honors.

Brand again averaged over 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in his second season in Chicago, but on draft night 2001 the Los Angeles Clippers traded the rights to Tyson Chandler for Brand.

This past month, Brand cashed in on his potential and signed a 6-year, $82.2 million contract with the Clippers. Brand, who was one of the most attractive free agents to many NBA teams, signed an offer sheet with the Miami Heat which the Clippers matched.

The United States Olympic committee selected Brand to play on the sixth iteration of the "Dream Team" that is currently playing a qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico for a birth in next summer's Olympic games in Athens, Greece.

Recently, after a USA Basketball practice in New York, The Chronicle caught up with Brand to talk about Duke, life and what it means to play on the "Dream Team."

Despite leaving Duke early and without a degree, Brand remains close to the university and the coaching staff which he credits for his rapid development as a collegiate player.

Brand speaks with head coach Mike Krzyzewski about once a month, and also remains close with assistant coach Johnny Dawkins. Recently, Brand consulted Krzyzewski when he was in the process of negotiating his contract.

"I speak to Coach K," Brand said. "We'll definitely talk about life, but he'll coach you, he'll coach you. He will be like, 'You need to run more; you need to have a point guard.'"

Brand went on to say he has tremendous confidence in Krzyzewski.

"I trust him. I trust him like no other. He knows the game," he said.

Following the qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico, Brand is considering coming to Duke to catch up with Krzyzewski, the rest of the coaching staff and other friends.

When reflecting back on his decision to leave Duke after his sophomore season, Brand notes that while not necessarily a difficult decision, it was not one that came without regret. Ultimately, Brand's decision was a financial one, outweighing the benefits of another year or two on campus in Durham.

"If I were a little more well off I would have never left Duke. It was the greatest experience of my life. I had a great time. Financially it has worked out and that was the decision I had to make."

Also departing following the 1999 season was Corey Maggette. The two became close friends in Maggette's first and only season at Duke and were reunited when Brand was traded to the Clippers. Maggette, who also signed a lucrative contract this off season, and Brand remain close friends off the court.

"We're good friends." Brand said. "When I was at Duke he slept on my couch."

In an era when many of the dominant NBA stars play on the perimeter, Brand has established himself as one of the preeminent low post players in the league.

A great all-around post player, Brand ranked fourth in the NBA in blocks per game this past season and was also among the league leaders in offensive rebounds. An offensive threat as well, Brand scored 18.5 ppg, shooting .502 from the field this past season.

"He is a beast," Vince Carter told The Chronicle. "I enjoy watching him play. I've enjoyed watching him grow every year and become one of the best rebounders in the game."

Fellow power forward Tim Duncan had similar praise for Brand. Duncan highlighting his tremendous mind for the game.

"He is a great talent and plays hard all the time," Duncan said. "He is an incredible offensive rebounder and really knows how to play the game. It is fun to have someone out there with that high of a basketball IQ."

While achieving great personal successes as a professional and playing on dominant teams at Duke, Brand has yet to play on an NBA team with a winning record and has never been to the playoffs.

"Right now it is time to get the team to the playoff and go to that next step," Brand said.

For the moment, Brand is enjoying his time playing USA Basketball. The star played on USA teams when he was younger, but he relishes the opportunity to play on the "Dream Team."

"It is definitely an honor and a privilege to serve your country," Brand said. "Some of the best guys in the country are here, Jermaine O'Neil, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone are here. So battling against those guys is really good."

While the summer has been filled with the joy of the USA Basketball and the new contract for Brand, Jay Williams' motorcycle accident saddened him. Reflecting on the tragedy highlighted a major difference in the personality of the two players for Brand, who said he would never risk his NBA career riding motorcycles.

"I've always been kind of wary person," Brand said. "Not scared, just cautious."

Many former Duke players have not lived up to their potential as professionals, but Elton Brand is surely bucking the trend.

When asked about the prospect of becoming the most successful former Duke player in the NBA, Brand said that it was in no way his goal, but the accolade would be a nice and welcomed title at the end of his career.

"I would be an honor to be." Brand said. "If it turns out that way I am going to represent myself and Duke the best that I can."

Brand's cautious demeanor and his humble self image reflect his personality off the court. While under the boards and on the block he is as determined and intimidating as he looks.

Share and discuss “Catching up with Elton Brand, Roy Williams and the U.S. Dream Team” on social media.