Top Ohio tailback lists Duke over Maryland, Purdue and Wisconsin

Ray Jones, one of the Midwest's most sought after prep running backs, is strongly considering a scholarship offer from Duke over invitations from perennial top-25 schools like Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

"Duke's academic reputation speaks for itself," Jones wrote in an e-mail to the Chronicle. "Athletically, I don't think the football has been as strong as other programs but it is on the rise. With the addition of the new Yoh center and all of the other things being done to strengthen the program, I think it will begin improving in no time. A strong combination of academics and athletics is what I'm looking for, that is why Duke is one of my top choices."

Jones said Duke currently trails two other academic and athletic stalwarts, Boston College and Stanford.

A tailback out of The Columbus Academy in Gahanna, Oh., Jones is listed at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, with a 40-yard dash time of 4.5 and an SAT score of 1210.

On the addition of Miami and Virginia Tech to the ACC, Jones said that "the strength of a conference is somewhat important, but ultimately it is about the team's chemistry."

Share and discuss “Top Ohio tailback lists Duke over Maryland, Purdue and Wisconsin” on social media.