Lacrosse recruits stick out at international tourney

For both the men's and women's lacrosse programs, the 2003 season was marked by inconsistency and a disappointing finish to the year - neither team achieved its preseason expectations, with the women losing in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, and the men failing to qualify. Yet, the anticipation for the upcoming seasons is already building as both programs have recruited classes that rank among the best in the nation.

"We are excited about this group in that we have upgraded our skill level and athleticism at each position," men's head coach Mike Pressler said. "We feel strongly that we addressed our needs across the board. Several members of this group have the ability to make an immediate impact for our program."

Both programs also lost a large percentage of their firepower from the previous season especially at the attack positions. Most notably for the men, All-American Kevil Cassese and for the women, All-Americans Lauren Gallagher and Kate Kaiser.

At the recent Under-19 World Lacrosse Championships, incoming Duke freshman were among the most dominant players in the respective tournaments.

The men's class is headlined by Farmingdale, NY standout Mathew Danowski - regarded by many as the top recruit in the country.

"He is a complete player," Farmingdale head coach Bob Hartranft told the Chronicle. "Many regarded him as the best high school player in the country, me included. You can't get more than that."

In the under-19 competition, Danowski was named the tournament's most valuable player for the victorious United States squad. The attacker netted 17 goals and 10 assists in just six games.

The incoming Duke freshman was a dominating presence in the tournament as he showed the world his all-around game.

"He can see, he can shoot, he can feed," Hartranft said. "He can do anything for a team. He is the best player we have ever had in 35 years."

Hartranft's accolades are even more impressive considering his graduating class of lacrosse players are attending Syracuse, Townsend, John's Hopkins, Georgetown and Princeton - schools that have dominated collegiate lacrosse since its inception.

Joining Danowski on the under-19 team was Maryland high school standout Peter Lamade. The 5'10 midfielder graduated from another of lacrosse's premier high schools - Landon.

"He has great vision," Landon head coach Rob Bordley said. "He anticipates things often before his team can realize them. He is just a great athlete."

Talking with Pressler, Bordley anticipates that Lamade will be moved to attack when he arrives on campus to help fill the void left by the departing Cassese.

"He might even be more effective behind the cage," Bordley said. "He is almost a better feeder than scorer."

However, Lamade may struggle to adjust to the physical play in collegiate lacrosse especially with the larger defensemen and the adjustment to the attack position.

Three rising Blue Devil sophomores also participated on the champion under-19 team. Matt Zash picked up four points and won half of his face offs for the United States team. Glen Nick and Bret Thompson also made contributions for the host country.

Joining Danowski and Lamade on the men's team next season are Casey Carroll, Fred Krom, Tony McDevitt, Nick O'Hara, Dan Oppedisano, Mike Ward, Matt Wilson and standout goalie Dan Loftus.

For the women, Rachel Sanford and Kristen Waagbo headline the incoming women's lacrosse athletes.

"I am thrilled with the quality of student-athletes that will be joining our 2003-04 team," Kimel said. "This group is probably our strongest recruiting class to date."

Sanford, who shows extraordinary commitment, was regarded as one of the top high school players in the country through her career at Greenwich High in Connecticut.

"I put pressure on myself to perform at a high level," Sanford told TeenSpeak. "I know that requires constant effort to stay on top and that is what I want to do."

Joining Sanford on the under-19 women's team was Mount Hebron, Md. native Waagbo. She led competition with 19 goals and scored the United State's first three goals and a spectacular nine goal total in the championship game.

Also on the under-19 women's team were Leigh Jester, Michelle Menser and Kim Wathey. Jester dished out five assists in the team's championship game triumph.

Midfielder's Meghan Ferguson and Meeghan Ford round out the class.

Share and discuss “Lacrosse recruits stick out at international tourney” on social media.