Kaiser scores 3 goals, forces 6 turnovers, grabs 6 ground balls as Duke downs Fighting Irish

Kate Kaiser is not a member of the All-ACC 50th Anniversary team for nothing.

The senior All-American scored three goals on three shots, picked up six ground balls and caused six turnovers in leading the No. 3 Blue Devils (11-2) to a 10-7 victory over No. 15 Notre Dame (4-5).

Kaiser began the scoring early for Duke, starting a three-goal surge that gave the Blue Devils a 3-0 advantage just seven minutes into the game. The fast start would be the difference maker in the outcome of the contest.

"We definitely wanted to come out early and set the tone for the game," Kaiser said. "By getting an early lead, we were able to do that. We wanted to come out and play our game and maintain control."

Indeed, Duke's mantra this season has been "playing its own game." The Fighting Irish, a team that lacks the sheer firepower of Duke, did its best to emulate the Blue Devils--yet their efforts were in vain.

Notre Dame countered with a few goals of its own, but the Blue Devils began a flurry of shots on goal that resulted in an eventual 7-3 lead at the 28:54 mark in the second half.

However, the Fighting Irish found some luck and pulled to 7-5, and later 9-7, giving head coach Kerstin Kimel's team a significant scare.

"We had trouble finishing on our plays," Kaiser said. "We made great defensive plays and had fast break opportunities, but we couldn't capitalize on them. By not finishing our shots, we allowed Notre Dame to have more opportunities and they were able to creep back into the game."

But Duke's defense buckled down in the end, and was able to hold on for the three-goal win.

"I thought that our defense played really well and we made some great plays that stifled their offense," Kaiser said.

On paper, Duke dominated the contest, as they outshot Notre Dame 24-17, collected 42 ground balls to the Fighting Irish's 24, and won 11 draw controls to Notre Dame's eight.

The contest serves as a warm-up for the impending ACC tournament, easily the most competitive conference tournament in women's lacrosse in the nation.

"The entire team is very excited for the ACC tournament," Kaiser said. "Our goal is to come home Sunday with the championship trophy."

Share and discuss “Kaiser scores 3 goals, forces 6 turnovers, grabs 6 ground balls as Duke downs Fighting Irish” on social media.