Baseball crushes Davidson, 8-3

The baseball team turned on its offense late as it beat Davidson (13-19) yesterday 8-3, bringing the Blue Devils' record to 14-22. The Blue Devils were led by solid pitching and the hitting of freshman Javier Socorro and senior Brian Patrick, who extended his hitting streak to 13 games.

"I'm very, very pleased with how we played," head coach Bill Hillier said. "We pitched well, got some hits and played good defense. It's amazing what a win can do for you."

The Blue Devils were coming off a frustrating weekend with the fifth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, in which Duke lost three straight.

The Blue Devils trailed 3-2 going into the top of the sixth. Patrick walked to lead off the inning, then advanced to third on a single by sophomore Tim Layden. Davidson shortstop D.J. Dailey then mishandled and overthrew senior Troy Caradonna's grounder, scoring Patrick. Layden would score on a Grant Stanley sacrifice fly. Both of the inning's runs were unearned.

The Blue Devils would add two more in each of the eighth and ninth innings. In the eighth, Patrick tripled and was knocked in by a Caradonna single. Freshman Brian Hernandez's double later plated Caradonna. In the ninth, Patrick and freshman Adam Murray scored off of a single by Layden.

Share and discuss “Baseball crushes Davidson, 8-3” on social media.