Stone throws for record

After an impressive finish to the indoor season and a respite from training over spring break, the track teams asserted themselves at two in-state meets this past weekend. The teams' throwers attended the Charlotte 49ers Classic, while a contingent of sprinters and middle distance runners from the womens' team ventured across town to North Carolina Central University for the NCCU Invitational.

A successful conclusion to the indoor season featured the men's team earning a seventh-place finish and the women pulling out 10th when they competed in early March at the IC4A and ECAC Championships, respectively. After the indoor season, the spring break provided a well-earned hiatus for the Blue Devils.

"What we're doing is, as soon as indoor season ended, we let the athletes go where they wanted to for break," men's head coach Norm Ogilvie. "We started practice on the first day of classes; we're going through a very intense period of training now."

The combination of time off the track and resumed practice seems to have worked for Duke, especially for senior thrower Ginny Stone. Her 158-foot-6-inch hammer throw not only constituted a personal best by more than four feet, but also earned Stone the second-best all-time mark in the Blue Devil record book for that event. Stone's fourth-place throw qualified her for the ECAC championships in Princeton, N.J., at the end of May.

Share and discuss “Stone throws for record” on social media.