Men's lacrosse falls to Georgetown in overtime

When Georgetown's Jordan Vettoretti put a point blank shot into the back of the net in overtime, it marked another disappointment for the men's lacrosse team. No. 5 Georgetown (5-0) defeated eighth-ranked Duke (6-3) 6-5 Sunday at Harbin Field in Washington D.C.

The winning goal came with 2:19 remaining in the overtime session on a pass from Walid Hajj.

Taking the face-off, Georgetown's Andy Corno ran the ball down the field and rocketed it past Duke goalie A.J. Kincel.

Earlier in the game, Duke jumped out to an quick 1-0 lead with a man-up advantage.

The teams then battled to a 2-2 tied before Hajj scored two goals as the Hoyas jumped out to a 4-2 edge.

After the Hoyas took the lead, the teams battled to a stalemate, but then the Blue Devils, gaining momentum before the break, scored with just 34 seconds remaining in the half.

Duke came out hot and scored the lone goal of the third period to level the score at four. Then, early in the fourth, Duke took the lead for the first time since the opening minutes.

Georgetown's Mike Hammer then tied the game with 5:53 remaining in the contest. He put a Vettoretti pass past Kincel who saved 60 percent of the Georgetown shots on goal.

A bright spot for the Blue Devils was their ability to covert in the extra-man situation. The team scored on 2-of-6 such opportunities. Georgetown, also found the back of the net on a third of their extra-man advantages.

Corno dominated the face-off circle, securing 9-of-14 chances. Georgetown also won the battle for ground balls, grabbing 34 to Duke's 28.

Duke's Kevin Cassese scored a team-high two goals and also added a pair of assists.

Matt Rewkowski, Matt Zash and Matt Monfett all added a goal of their own for the Blue Devils, who had trouble shooting, converting on only six of their 44 attempts.

Hajj lead the Hoyas with a pair of goals and an assist.

The team has the rest of the week off before facing Ivy League power Harvard Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m in Durham.

Share and discuss “Men's lacrosse falls to Georgetown in overtime” on social media.