Game Commentary: Nation's best rivalry lives on

CHAPEL HILL -- Unfortunately, even after another epic Duke-UNC thriller, people will continue to downplay the greatness of the Tobacco Road rivalry. But as President George W. Bush would say, "Make no mistake:" It does not get any better than Blue Devils and Tar Heels battling it out on the hard court.

In a game that supposedly didn't matter, No. 10 Duke and NIT-bound North Carolina were magnificent for an unforgettable 40 minutes. The match was well-played and hard-fought. The coaching strategies were complex and well-implemented. The fight was entertaining and quickly forgotten. The passion for the game was unquestionable.

Although Duke lost on the road again to its most vicious rival and was nearly trampled by opposing fans for the sixth time this year, the game was a classic, reaffirming Duke and Carolina blue as the true colors of the ultimate rivalry.

"Duke-Carolina will never be replaced," UNC senior Jonathan Holmes said. "And that's the way it's always going to be. You don't see a whole week of Duke-Maryland on ESPN Classic."

Absolutely right. All those people--Dick "Duke" Vitale included--even proclaimed regional rivalries like Missouri-Kansas and Louisville-Kentucky superior to that of Duke-Carolina. Although those games may have more significance on the national level in 2003, to assert that any other matchup is more energy-laden is simply absurd.

The story of Duke-Carolina is so good it could not be scripted. From the two programs come countless All-Americans, championships, legendary coaches and arenas, and most importantly, basketball-starved fans. The two teams, with a few conspicuous exceptions, are always national-title contenders. They have churned out memories and moments that have been unmatched by any other sports rivalry.

Sunday's game was no exception. Here's why: A scuffle, like the one that occurred between UNC head coach Matt Doherty and Duke assistant coach Chris Collins, hadn't occurred on such a scale since 1989; the Tar Heels' two star freshmen, Rashad McCants and Raymond Felton, were nearly unstoppable; and Duke's first-years, more heralded overall in the preseason, were outshined this time around.

But it wasn't all bad for Duke. Shelden Williams' post play is more impressive every game. He had a pair of rim-shaking one-handed slams that posterized Jawad Williams. Redick started the game 3-for-4 from three-point land before trailing off. And the Blue Devils' interior passing is better than it has been since Shane Battier's senior year.

But in the end, only the numbers suitably describe the greatness of Duke-UNC. There were 21 lead changes, and the game came down to the very last half-second--a 30-foot leaner from Dahntay Jones, reminiscent of Jeff Capel's 1995 heave that sent the two teams into overtime. This time, the shot came too late.

Just think what these powers will conjure up the next time they meet.

Share and discuss “Game Commentary: Nation's best rivalry lives on” on social media.