Baseball team breaks four game losing streak with 10-5 win

Duke baseball (13-13) handed the Davidson Wildcats (6-13) a rainy10-5 loss Wednesday at Jack Coombs Field in Durham, N.C. The game came after a rough stretch against ACC-rival Virginia during which Duke lost three games by a combined score of 28-3.

"This weekend was pretty embarrassing," said freshman Brian Hernandez. "They say that getting beat three times in a row really motivates you, we just turned that negative into a positive."

The series with Virginia remained in the minds of many of the players even after Wednesday's victory.

"Everybody was approaching the game differently after last weekend," said starting pitcher Tim Layden.

Duke galloped off to an early lead, scoring two runs in each of the first and third innings.

Then, in the fourth, Davidson fought back, opening up the frame with back-to-back singles by Taylor Shoop and Jay Haefner. A botched ground-ball and an Eli Benfield single later, and the Wildcats had closed the gap to 4-2.

The Blue Devils then seemed to put the game out of reach. Senior Brian Patrick hit a two-RBI double in the fourth, scoring Senterrio Landrum and Adam Murray. Then in the fifth, sophomore Grant Stanley led off with a double and Hernandez got into the act with an RBI-single. After Hernandez got caught in a pickle between third and home on a fielder's choice, freshman Javier Socorro hit a sacrifice fly that plated Michael Golom.

Davidson would continue to threaten, scoring three in the seventh and loading the bases with one out in the ninth and the score at 10-5. But relief pitcher Jim Perry would retire two straight Davidson hitters, squelching hopes of a 'Catty comeback.

Duke starting pitcher Tim Layden gave up two runs in five innings pitched.

"Timmy Layden pitched well," said Duke head coach Bill Hillier. "He'd been roughed up a bit in the last couple of games but he came out and pitched well."

The game was delayed fifteen minutes due to the rain, which continued throughout the first five innings. Although the rain seemed to cause a few problems, muddying the mound and making fielders slip, both players and coaches alike seemed to downplay its importance.

"You know, a couple of people slipped," said Hernandez. "Other than that, it was actually pretty pleasant, it didn't really affect the game too much."

Coach Hillier saw things from a slightly different vantage point.

"It bothers pitchers the most since balls start slipping," he said. "It doesn't bother coaches."

Duke looks to play the No. 22 Wake Forest Demon Deacons (17-7) Friday at 3 p.m. at Jack Coombs Field.

Share and discuss “Baseball team breaks four game losing streak with 10-5 win” on social media.