Swimming enjoys Senior Day success, dominating W&M

Men's (3-8) and Women's (7-6) swimming posted resounding victories Saturday against William and Mary (3-6). Men won 169-90, while women won 161-83 in celebration of Senior Day, Duke's last home match this year.

Both teams rebounded well after suffering convincing defeats to ACC foe Maryland Friday afternoon.

"It was great to leave on a winning note," senior Matt Mailloux said.

Seniors Lauren Afflixio, Drew Disick, Lindsay Hilgers, Kristina Koehler, Mailloux, and Justin Ward were saluted before the match.

"They recognized us before the meet and it was exciting," Afflixio said. "It was exciting to be in a meet where both the men and the women had a chance to win."

A commonly heard refrain from swimmers was that the team enjoyed performing well for its seniors.

"Everyone was very excited to step up and win for the seniors, who have provided a lot of leadership over the last four years," said junior Matt Olmstead. "We expected it to be a very close competition, it was very evenly matched on paper, everyone on the team just stepped it up."

Both Duke squads controlled the match from the outset, as each team took first place in the first four events. The men ended up winning 12-of-13 events to the women's 10-of-13. The men also dominated the breast stroke, winning the first four places.

Teddy Helfers, John Humphrey, Tim Hyer and Katie Ness all won multiple events. Also notable was Katie Harrington's season-best time of 10:41:90 in the 1000 freestyle.

The meet concludes Duke's dual meet season, and is its last competition before the ACC Championships.

"Winning Saturday was good mental preparation going into ACC's," Mailloux said.

Although ending well, the weekend began on a bit of a sour note against conference rival Maryland. The 15th ranked Terrapin women's team blew out their Blue Devil counterparts 150-79, and the Maryland men likewise had little trouble, taking the victory 156-78.

Men's ACC's begin Feb. 27 at Chapel Hill, while the women begin completion a week earlier.

Share and discuss “Swimming enjoys Senior Day success, dominating W&M” on social media.