Shining in new role, Nicholas brings Terps to battle

In an age when college sports are riddled with disgruntled and impatient athletes that would sooner transfer to other schools than compete for playing time, Drew Nicholas is an anomaly. A 6-foot-3 senior guard out of Hempstead, N.Y., Nicholas' role has changed drastically in his time at Maryland--from serving as backup to All-America guard Juan Dixon the past three seasons, to his current distinction as the second-leading scorer in the ACC with 18 points per game.

"Nicholas is really what every coach would like, and that is a kid who continues to develop over a four-year period of time, plays behind an outstanding player, learns from that player, and then when his time comes, he shines," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

In his years playing behind Dixon, Nicholas' talents were hidden to everyone outside of Maryland practices. Such is a common issue for many of the nation's top athletic programs, but as Nicholas has proved, patience is a virtue--and the reward has been more than worth the wait.

"I'm definitely pleased, I wouldn't necessarily say surprised," Nicholas said. "I knew a lot of people didn't think I would be able to have this kind of year. I had confidence in myself. I knew I could do these kinds of things. I knew my opportunity would come. I knew if I just got minutes, I would be able to put points on the board."

From his freshman season, when Nicholas averaged 15.7 minutes and 5.1 points per game, to his junior year when he played 20.5 minutes and scored 7.1 points per game, Nicholas worked hard on his all-around game. His improvement was clear, as his production on the court improved from one season to the next, as did his anticipation of displacing himself from Dixon's shadow.

"It was real difficult at times," Nicholas said. "I saw a lot of guys from the area or around the country, who I felt I was as good as, get opportunities to play earlier in their careers."

Nicholas had shown flashes of excellence in the past, however, including last year's game in Cameron Indoor Stadium when he went 5-for-6 from the field and 2-for-2 from the foul line to rack up 12 points. His three-point shooting capabilities were unquestionable, averaging around 40 percent in his sophomore and junior seasons. But such numbers were produced in an offense that boasted three All-American candidates.

Coming into this season it was the Terps biggest question: Could Nicholas assume the role as the team's No. 1 scorer?

"We really didn't know," Maryland head coach Gary Williams said. "I knew he could shoot, but he's had to take on some leadership responsibilities and handle the ball some and he's played some really good defense. It's nice to see. You preach to the younger players in your program that they'll get their chance, and he's certainly taken advantage."

Twenty-two games into this year's campaign, Nicholas has not only shot his way to the top of the conference, he is also fourth in the conference in free throw shooting percentage, tenth in field goal percentage, and thirteenth in assists.

"Drew spent a lot of time in the gym this summer," Williams said. "Drew is smart on the court. The biggest thing with Drew is he's found ways to get open."

The Terrapins, coming off a big win over then-conference leader Wake Forest, will need jolly St. Nicholas to deliver a career performance Saturday when the Terrapins come into Cameron Indoor Stadium. Maryland would love nothing more than to end Duke's home-court winning streak, which currently stands at 25; and Nicholas welcomes the challenge, as do the Terrapins, who have won two of their last three contests at Cameron.

Wednesday's game will be a more daunting challenge, however, especially considering Maryland boasts five true freshmen. And despite the fact Maryland also totes experienced players such as Steve Blake and Tahj Holden, the onus will clearly be on Nicholas to drive the freshmen to a strong performance against the Blue Devils.

"You have to guide those guys along," Nicholas said. "It's one of those things you want to have the burden of [doing]. You don't necessarily consider it pressure, it's the kind of pressure you want as a player."

Share and discuss “Shining in new role, Nicholas brings Terps to battle” on social media.