Rodas takes top post at small college

One of the University's highest-ranking behind-the-scenes administrators was named this week to the top post at Southampton College, part of the Long Island University system.

Daniel Rodas, who as assistant vice president for administration has served as Executive Vice President Tallman Trask's right-hand man for over five years, will assume the office of Southampton's provost beginning in May. In that role, Rodas hopes to lead a "transformation" of the school, in particular by reordering its finances and revamping its curriculum.

"It's an excellent opportunity to lead a small liberal arts college that's part of an excellent university with a strong tradition of expanding access to education," he said. "I attended a small liberal arts college, and I have a strong passion for liberal arts colleges in general."

While at Duke, Rodas was closely involved with the University's budget and many major initiatives, including analyzing data and writing reports about Student Affairs and residential life. Trask credited him with increasing the success of Duke's annual United Way fundraising effort. Rodas also ran the hiring processes for administrators such as Catherine Reeve, director of parking and transportation, and Duke police chief Clarence Birkhead.

"He's done a lot of little things. He's logical, he's organized, he knows what I'm looking for," Trask said. "We sent him off a couple years ago to straighten out the United Way, and he did a great job of that."

Rodas also served as a pre-major adviser and as an instructor in the education program. He worked with the Samuel DuBois Cook Society to promote diversity at Duke.

Originally from Rochester, N.Y., Rodas came to Duke in fall 1997 from Stanford University, where he received an MBA and a doctorate in higher education. He earned a bachelor's degree from Williams College and a master's degree from Harvard University. He credited Duke's "entrepreneurship" with drawing him to Durham.

"I was attracted to the entrepreneurship and the opportunity to work with Dr. Trask," Rodas said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed my work at Duke and my colleagues, the faculty, staff and students - and I'll miss them."

Among his highest priorities at Southampton will be making the curriculum more interdisciplinary, which he noted has been the general direction of undergraduate education and a major focus of Duke's own planning.

Trask said he has not yet begun looking for Rodas' successor.

Share and discuss “Rodas takes top post at small college” on social media.