Fundraising crucial to student village proposal

If it takes a village to raise a special undergraduate experience, it takes a lot of money to raise a village.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, announced last fall that he would be adding a development officer to his Student Affairs division. Student Affairs has never had a unit specifically dedicated to fundraising, and the addition marked a growing importance for student life in University priorities.

In the first search for a development officer for Student Affairs, however, Moneta did not find anyone for the role. He said hiring the right person was more important than maintaining any timetable.

"We didn't hire anybody the first round," he said. "There were some good people, but no great people."

Fundraising will be key to Moneta's effort to renovate and revitalize student space on West Campus into a "student village."

Amid blue-sky dreams of sprouting fountains on campus, extending the Bryan Center walkway into a piazza, making the Bryan Center more accessible for students, consolidating food services into one plaza, renovating the Career Center, adding social space and perhaps creating a student bar, a bowling alley or even a better performing arts center, administrators know that the sky isn't the limit - their checkbook is.

"It's not unusual to see $50 million to $60 million spent [for projects like this]. But I'm hesitant to put down a number," Moneta said.

Timing may be a complicating factor for raising such a large sum, as The Campaign for Duke comes to an end this year. Two billion dollars later, top donors may have already been mined for other projects - from the West-Edens Link to several academic and sports facilities.

"Realistically, we're probably not going to raise large amounts of money for the new student village in the next 11 months...," said President Nan Keohane, "especially since we're just beginning to get started with the fundraising for that and it's always easier to raise money when you've got plans you show people and spaces they can name."

Furthermore, as the plan may not be approved until May's Board of Trustees meeting or later, heavy fundraising would begin even later.

"I have heard little yet that is specific enough and had fully gained approval from the Trustees that could go ahead front and center for this campaign," said Robert Shepard, vice president for development.

Shepard added that raising around $50 million would not be impossible further down the road.

"Any project would require a lead gift," he said. "Provided a lead gift could be found, I'd be more sanguine."

Keohane added that the student village would be one of a number of priorities the development office highlights in the period immediately following the capital campaign to ensure some post-campaign fundraising momentum.

Moneta said he thought much of the money could come in the form of many little gifts from alumni who remembered their undergraduate experience at Duke and wanted to improve future Duke experiences.

"A million one-dollar gifts is just as good as one million-dollar gift," he said.

Of Arts and Sciences' $400 million campaign goal in the $2 billion effort, only $6 million was originally targeted for Student Affairs. But the division has garnered about $10 million, due to $5 million of a larger $35 million Gates Foundation gift last spring.

On the spectrum of projects, however, Shepard said raising money for student facilities should not prove too difficult.

"As opposed to an esoteric sciences program, which might not have a lot of resonance with alumni, attracting donors to a new student center could be fairly appealing," he said.

Share and discuss “Fundraising crucial to student village proposal” on social media.