Arts: A Weekend of Eye-Openers

How can an artist confined to a strictly visual medium adequately express strong emotions? How can he accurately convey culture, memory, tradition and love in a way that allows others to experience the full impact of their meaning? This is the endeavor that Wendell Smith embarks upon in his exhibit, "Spirit's Eye," which features a series of vibrant abstract oil paintings. These large, dramatic canvases offer a vivid exploration of the intimate aspects of his life, values and beliefs.

Smith, a Fulbright scholar, is a native of Trinidad, and his work is heavily influenced by that Afro-Caribbean culture, especially the celebration of Carnival and his Roman Catholic upbringing. These recurring themes combine and transcend his work, occasionally creating pieces of an exceptionally personal nature. A photograph of an ultrasound of his unborn child inspired "Conqueror of the Night." "Haunted Paradise" reflects his hesitancy to have a consistent utopian theme throughout his works.

When speaking about his art, Smith is hesitant to define its essence because, frankly, his works do not lend themselves to strict definition. Instead, they playfully tease at the corners of our minds provoking memory and inviting us to explore our own definitions.

His works take the form of large abstract paintings, boldly colored. Smith's unusual use of unstretched canvas frees the shape of his paintings and permits them to reach out beyond their own boundaries. Similarly, Smith presents his own interpretation of his life's culture and traditions, but he does not limit the experience to himself. He opens our minds to discovering our own reaction.

Upon entering this exhibit, one is overwhelmed with the sense of joy conveyed through passionate and vibrant colors. These canvases sing and dance in euphoric rhythms that reach out toward the viewer. It is clear that Smith has laid his soul upon the canvas as an offering to his spectator.

This exhibit takes one forth on a voyage of self-discovery; or perhaps one simply of recovery - remembering memories long forgotten, sweet and joyful, moments of lost innocence and unfettered joy. Smith invites viewers to join him without challenge. He simply beckons them into the tumble of feelings that are singular to his own experience yet oddly universal.

- Gillian Barnard

"Spirit's Eye" is on display in the Louise Jones Brown Gallery in the Bryan Center through March.

Share and discuss “Arts: A Weekend of Eye-Openers” on social media.