Wolfpack huffs, puffs, Blue Devils stand strong

RALEIGH - Despite a rough offensive game, where the shots simply were not falling, the women's basketball team compensated for its lowest scoring effort of the season by frustrating N.C. State with stifling man-to-man defense to the tune of a 54-44 win last night at Reynolds Coliseum. The victory was the Blue Devils' 32nd-consecutive victory in conference play. The win also allowed Duke (20-0, 8-0 in the ACC) to match Virginia's 1985-86 record of the best ever start by an ACC team.

The Blue Devils thwarted the Wolfpack's offensive attack in the first half, holding N.C. State (9-10, 4-4) to just 11 points on dreadful 5-of-26 shooting. With Duke limiting the Wolfpack's biggest offensive threat, junior forward Kaayla Chones, to just 1-of-5 shooting in the first frame, the Blue Devils' defensive game plan made it difficult for N.C. State to get any sort of rhythm going on offense.

"The first half was one of our best halves of basketball," Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I thought we did a really good job on Chones. I thought our rotations were good and I thought we played good personnel."

The Wolfpack improved their shooting at the outset of the second half and found themselves within six points of Duke just five minutes into the act. But the Blue Devils then exploded on a dominating 18-2 run. The offensive outburst featured several nice scoring efforts from freshman point guard Lindsey Harding. Despite her smallish stature, Harding was able to take it inside several times against the N.C. State defense.

Sheana Mosch then contributed with a hard-scoring drive to the basket during the run that drew a foul. Mosch capitalized and converted the from the line.

The Wolfpack responded to the Blue Devils' 18-2 attack with a 12-0 run of their own, cutting their once 22-point deficit to just 10 with 5:04 remaining. Duke again was able to distance themselves from N.C. State with a couple of lay-ups by Alana Beard. The Wolfpack, however, would not let Duke get away without a fight, as junior guard Terah James hit a cutting Liz Bailey for an easy bucket that once again cut Duke's lead down to just six with 1:30 remaining. But while Duke bended, it did not break. The Blue Devils shut N.C. State out for the rest of the game to preserve its spotless record.

"They just kept on chipping away at our lead and I was proud of our poise down the stretch," Goestenkors said. "I was a little disappointed that we let that lead slip away, but again, just proud of the poise that we exhibited in the last couple minutes of the game."

Duke did not have its optimal offensive output Wednesday. It went a mere 1-for-14 from behind the arc and shot just 35 percent. The Blue Devils did however have their fair share of highlights. Beard led Duke's scoring force with 24 points and eight offensive rebounds (11 total). Time after time, the 5-foot-11 junior made the court her personal dance floor, juking and shimmying past would-be Wolfpack defenders.

"After last game, the coaches told me to take it to the basket more," Beard said. "I tried to attack it more, but within the context of the offense. And I tried to focus on rebounding more. If you look when I've had bad games it's been because I haven't rebounded."

Whereas Duke could have overlooked the Wolfpack in anticipation of Saturday's clash with mighty Connecticut in Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Blue Devils maintained focus and gutted out a victory. Now the Blue Devils can turn to their most anticipated regular season foe, No. 2 Connecticut.

"I am so ready for that game....," Goestenkors said. "I am just so thankful that the game is finally here and that we can play the game."

Share and discuss “Wolfpack huffs, puffs, Blue Devils stand strong” on social media.