Colloquium focuses on AAS program

Signaling the latest step in what some hope will result in an Asian American studies program at the University, three national scholars examined the field's place in academia and its potential at Duke at a colloquium Wednesday.

The colloquium, titled "Transforming the Academy: Asian American Studies," was part of an initiative that began last year to explore the development of an AAS program. The initiative also includes funding for courses and a research center, and speakers had both praise and criticism for the administration's efforts thus far.

The forum was sponsored by Trinity College, the Asian American Studies Working Group and the Asian American Studies Task Force, and featured Evelyn Hu-DeHart from Brown University, Gary Okihiro from Columbia University and Stephen Sumida from the University of Washington.

Introducing the evening's speakers, Dean of Trinity College Robert Thompson made specific references to the work of students in bringing the need of an AAS program to the administration's attention. He also touted the administration's own efforts to build an AAS program as part of the University's emphasis on diversity and cross-cultural awareness.

"With our history of segregation, we have a particular responsibility in this regard," Thompson said.

One speaker - Hu-DeHart, who teaches history at Brown - countered Thompson's introduction, criticizing the lack of administrative interest in AAS in the past at Duke.

"I know of no other field in which students have to take things into their own hands," she said, referring to the student initiative that sparked University action.

Hu-DeHart was also critical of the 30 percent undergraduate diversity figures that Thompson cited in his remarks. She called for a deeper investigation of the figures, noting that Asian-American students are a highly visible group on college campuses, yet underrepresented in the curriculum.

In addition, Hu-DeHart stressed the importance of AAS programs, which she said can apply to other contemporary fields including race discourse and comparative ethnic studies.

Okihiro, who directs the AAS program at Columbia, said AAS had been his passion for more than three decades. He spent much of his presentation defending its academic merit.

"Asian American studies is still marginal to other fields of study," he said.

Okihiro noted weaknesses in the program nationally, but pointed to racial and cultural issues in America as underlying the lack of acceptance for AAS.

Sumida, a professor of literature at Washington, similarly called for a new understanding of American culture in academia. "There is no alien culture in America," Sumida said. "We have to change the definition of American culture." He stressed the difference between Asian studies-focusing on the Asian continent-and Asian American studies.

The colloquium began with a welcoming speech by junior Nancy Lee and sophomore Stephanie Liu, members of the Asian American Studies Working Group and the Asian American Studies Task Force. These groups have worked since April to develop an AAS program at the University. Although their work has been highlighted by the inclusion of four AAS courses, Liu noted the absence of a full AAS curriculum.

Share and discuss “Colloquium focuses on AAS program” on social media.