Tropical Storm: No.1 Duke heads to St. Thomas

The women's basketball team beat Tennessee this weekend at a neutral site, reaffirmed its place at the top of the country, took the day off and is headed to the Caribbean.

But this trip is for business, not pleasure.

Though the No. 1 Blue Devils might deserve a break after passing a momentous test against the No. 2 Vols Sunday, what sounds like the off-season is just the next battle for the team and its difficult non-conference schedule. Duke takes off for St. Thomas this morning to take on Hampton, Old Dominion and No. 16 Arkansas in the Paradise Jam Tournament at the University of the Virgin Islands.

"The mark of a great team is a team that plays well regardless of their opponent," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "So I think we'll find out a lot about ourselves with three games in three days against tough competition. But with this team's strength and leadership, I don't think they'll have their head in the clouds."

Although the 3 p.m. Thanksgiving day match-up with Hampton (1-0) stacks up evenly with the Blue Devils' blowout of East Carolina last Friday, the rest of the trip won't be a walk on the beach with Wendy Larry's storied ODU team and the up-and-coming Razorbacks ready to pounce.

The Monarchs (0-1) made their way to the Elite Eight in March but lost four starters and are coming off the heels of a loss to UVa in which they blew a lead with 10 minutes left to knock them out of the Top 25.

Arkansas (2-0), on the other hand, heads south of the border with a full head of steam. Senior guard India Lewis and junior forward Shameka Christon match up well with Duke's top two players, Alana Beard and Iciss Tillis, a duo the Blue Devils rode to victory Sunday. Duke blew out the Lady Backs by 21 in the NCAA Tournament two years ago, avenging a bitter loss in March of 1998.

"We have a really good rivalry going," Goestenkors said. "Not only do they have two strong players, but the freshman, Ruby Vaden, we tried really hard to sign her, so I think this is the best team [Arkansas head coach Gary Blair] has had."

Some say the same of Goestenkors herself, with a deep roster showing off quick maturing against Tennessee, which slipped to fourth in Monday's polls. Although freshman point guard Lindsey Harding and sophomore center Wynter Whitley outplayed their starting counterparts with inspired minutes off the bench Sunday, the coach insisted she was comfortable with her current starting lineup.

"They gave us great intensity and a spark off bench," she said, "but I'm not looking to make any changes right now."

Share and discuss “Tropical Storm: No.1 Duke heads to St. Thomas” on social media.