Women's soccer thrashes conference leader, 3-0

It was an odd setting for a euphoric moment, but under a cold, driving rain and in front of a sparse crowd shivering under their umbrellas, the women's soccer team ended a five-game winless skid with a convincing 3-0 victory over N.C. State.

The 20th-ranked Wolfpack were coming off a shocking 2-1 upset victory over then-No.1 North Carolina, but the Blue Devils dominated play from the outset.

"We just knew that if we matched their intensity and matched their passion we [would win]," sophomore Casey McCluskey said. "We're a more skilled team. We definitely have more talent.... I thought we played awesome."

McCluskey spearheaded the Duke attack, tallying two goals and controlling play from her center midfield position. She opened the scoring in the 40th minute with a beautiful individual display.

Taking a Wolfpack defender off the dribble, McCluskey raced down the left side into the box before stopping on a dime and drilling a low shot past a helpless Gretchen Lear, the N.C. State netminder.

The Blue Devils peppered Lear with 18 shots, as they victimized the senior for two more goals, both of which came from long distance, as McCluskey and Carolyn Rigs each scored from over 20 yards out. The balls appeared to be very saveable but Lear, struggling with the elements, flailed helplessly as the balls sailed into the upper portion of the net.

"I think our luck is changing," said senior fullback Rebecca Smith. "18 shots-we deserved three goals. I don't care how they came, we deserved them."

True to Smith's words, Duke (6-6-1, 1-2-1 in the ACC) jumped on the Wolfpack (8-3-1, 2-1-1) from the get-go. Looking sharper, quicker and more confident on the ball then their ACC foes, the Blue Devils dominated possession throughout the game. For long stretches of time, the Blue Devils attacked without pause, sending ball upon ball into the N.C. State penalty area.

In contrast, Duke goalie Thora Helgadottir saw little action other than jogging around her area to receive a defender's pass. The 2001 all-ACC backstop faced only one stiff challenge--a laser beam header into the net's top right-hand corner--but the Icelandic national keeper successfully lunged to tip the ball over the cross bar.

"It was kind of hard keeping alert," Helgadottir said regarding the game's harsh climate and her long stretches of inactivity. "You have to really stay on your toes."

Like his players, Duke head coach Robbie Church was grinning from ear-to-ear after the Blue Devils earned their first win in nearly a month.

"We've been playing good soccer--I know it doesn't show in our wins and losses--but we've been playing good soccer," he said. "Today the whole team came together--the goalkeeper, the defending, the midfielders and our forwards."

The game's brightest star, however, was clearly McCluskey, Duke's leading scorer this season with seven goals. Offering only a coy smile, the playful sophomore declined to comment upon her stellar performance for fear of sounding arrogant. Instead, her teammates spoke for her.

"Casey is the bomb-diggity," Smith exclaimed. "And you can quote me."

Share and discuss “Women's soccer thrashes conference leader, 3-0” on social media.