When Actors Play With Power Tools

Fall break: three extra days of weekend, perfect for creative vacationing. Some people go home, some to the beach, some go camping. The cast and production council members of the Hoof 'n' Horn fall show also go camping, but they stay at "Camp Duke," and do something a little different: They build.

Hoof 'n' Horn is Duke's student-run musical theater group. Established in 1936, it began by producing one student-written musical per year, performed at the end of the year in Page Auditorium. The kicker to many of Hoof 'n' Horn's current members is that the club would work on a show for the entire year'Äînowadays, Hoof 'n' Horn produces three mainstage shows per annum, spending, from auditions to the cast party, under seven weeks for their fall and winter productions. Since every aspect of a Hoof 'n' Horn show, from directing to orchestration to set building, is done by students, those seven weeks can be a bit intense.

For this year's fall show, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, remaining at Duke over fall break is an expectation written out on the audition form. Although this discourages some auditionees from participating, especially freshmen, those that remain extol the virtues of "Camp Duke." Says Hoof 'n' Horn member and Drood's master carpenter Jeanne Rittschof, Camp Duke is "working on the show during the day, partying it up at night." Down-time includes group breakfasts at Cracker Barrel, late-night movies and much merry-making, including parties with themes like "Return to Castle Drunkenstein."

Cast members, who are required to put in at least 10 "build hours" over the course of the show, go to a shop orientation at the start of the rehearsal process, and many complete or extend their hours over fall break, hanging lights or painting flats. Outside the shop, they rehearse for the better part of the day.

Although days of togetherness spent drilling, singing and some sleeping foster production camaraderie, it can also be tiring. Carl Pearson, Drood's technical director, pointed out that "Fall break always falls just before 'game time,' opening night being the weekend after we return, so obviously it's crucial that we focus on the show."

John Haubenreich, a cast member, added that staying in Durham for fall break might have deterred him from participating in a show freshman year, but as a junior, "I'm looking forward to just hanging out."

Share and discuss “When Actors Play With Power Tools” on social media.