Tickling Our Fashion Fancy

Tickle me, forget the Elmo! Kelly Heaton, an artist-in-residence at Duke, has been skinning the popular Tickle Me Elmo dolls in the name of creativity.

Heaton is sewing their pelts together into a coat--a giggling coat because the furs will still contain many of the electronics that enable the Elmos to unleash the character's trademark laugh and voice.

So this got me thinking about other children's toys just waiting to be made into clothing, shoes and various other objets d'art. While her creations will be showcased at Ronald Feldman Fine Arts in New York, mine are still waiting for their lucky break:

Silly Putty Bikini: Ever wanted to wear your favorite comic strip or Recess article? Go out and grab about 100 silly putty eggs and smear them over any parts you want to protect and take a roll in newspaper. Also, for a romantic twist, make underwear from the glow-in-the-dark variety, turn the lights off and see what happens.

Corn Popper Skates: You pushed it around at two and loved the magical plastic balls. Now you're grown up, and they make perfect skates. Imagine rolling to class in style accompanied by the sounds of childhood. You may need a little duct tape for this one.

Stacking Rings Miniskirt: Next time you're watching those adorable nieces, nephews or cousins, steal their primary-colored stacking rings and get some cheap fishing line at Wal-Mart. String them together into a grid pattern, throw on your hottest thong and grab more attention than Rose McGowan at the MTV Music Awards.

Twister Suit: Getting ready for those stressful on-campus interviews? Looking for that killer internship next summer? Impress your future boss with a whimsical suit made from the classic hit Twister. Go out and purchase a few of the mats, grab a hotel sewing kit (don't forget the thimble) and fashion your very own Technicolor Dreamcoat. Bonus points go to the person wearing the spinner as a Flava-Flav-style necklace. For ladies or adventurous men, take the Monopoly game pieces and attach earring posts for a fashionable jewelry accessory--show those JP Morgan recruiters you're ready for economic domination.

Share and discuss “Tickling Our Fashion Fancy” on social media.