Could There Possibly Be More to Jackass?

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. Indeed, Jackass is a finely tuned allegory of personal crisis and hard evidence of society's refusal to acknowledge the deviants of its own creation. No mere cry for attention, Jackass is a celebration of personal growth, and a triumphant tribute to the bonds of masculinity.

The crew's false bravado and studied nonchalance are but a flimsy facade. As Jackass unfolds, we see walls tumbling down to reveal raw, unchecked emotion.

Steve-O's exhibitionism, Bam Margera's violent Oedipal crisis, Knoxville's glaring social ineptitude. Their manifestation of grief via self-inflicted pain and their flagrant disregard for the safety of their own genitals all point to a deep bodily mistrust born of the confusion and denial of puberty.

Are we really running from alligators, boys? Or perhaps personal demons?

Knoxville, you're an idiot. I love you. But I want my eight bucks back. That's not to say that I don't still hold a wee little soft spot in my heart for you and the boys; you made my Sunday nights half an hour better and plugged the gap between The Simpsons and South Park.

We had a good thing going.

So, for the love of all things painful and profane, why did you make a movie? Thanks to the "R" rating there's a little more skin, a little more language, a little more blood. But it's just the same old, and I didn't even have South Park to look forward to once it was over.

Still want to see it? No, really, it's OK. I won't hold it against you. Moron. If you must, catch a matinee. It's three bucks cheaper. Even better, you can avoid the front-row high-schoolers' commentary, as the delinquent little cherubs are safely locked away until three in the afternoon. Bless their young, impressionable little souls.

Share and discuss “Could There Possibly Be More to Jackass?” on social media.